Aretha Franklin didn’t even pass away a week ago and people are already screwing up her tributes.
For some insane reason, MTV thought it made perfect sense for Madonna to deliver a tribute to the late, great Queen of Soul at its Video Music Awards Monday night. However, it really wasn’t a tribute. It was Madge in some strange ethnic garb saying she, a “skinny-ass white girl,” sang an Aretha song at an audition and became a star. The speech was narcissistic, uncomfortable and appeared to be pre-written. Who at MTV approved this?
Consequently, Madonna and the VMAs have been destroyed on Twitter. While the tribute was disrespectful, thankfully these hilarious tweets dragging Madonna ease the pain a bit.
- Kim Kardashian To Keep Hidden Hills Mansion After Divorce From Kanye West
- Money Matters: Jini Thornton Gives Stimulus Checks Updates & Gives Women Money Advice [WATCH]
- What’s Trending!? Our Reaction To Meghan Markle & Prince Harry’s Interview With Oprah [WATCH]
- Here’s The Most Shocking Moments From Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Interview With Oprah
- The Buckingham Palace Is Gaslighting Meghan Markle And We Don’t Like It
- Regina King’s Gorgeous Gown Stole The Show At The Critics’ Choice Awards
- Cardi B Announces Limited Edition Fashion Doll With Doll Brand, Real Women Are
- Did You Know There Was A Coming To America TV Show? [Watch]
- Proud Mama Vanessa Bryant Gushes Over Natalia Bryant’s New Modeling Pics
- Voter Suppression Bills In Georgia: Companies Donating To Republicans’ ‘Big Lie’ Stay Silent
Like An Appropriator! Madonna And The VMAs Destroyed On Twitter For Bizarre Aretha Franklin Tribute was originally published on newsone.com
Enough‼️ Be mad at me if you want. But, we as a nation ... must stop letting #Madonna do the tributes to great black music legends. First there was that Billboard debacle to Prince. And NOW ... Madonna babbling about Madonna, in that faux #MTVVMAS “#Aretha tribute”. #nomore 😡— Arsenio Hall (@ArsenioHall) August 21, 2018
Why in the world would any rational person care what #Madonna had to say about #ArethaFranklin ? One is the Queen Mother of Soul. The other, like the culture she has successfully used for fame, is wholly derivative of that Queen Mother and the people who produced her.— Greg Carr (@AfricanaCarr) August 21, 2018
Madonna did the tribute speech for Aretha Franklin. Madonna did the tribute performance for Prince. Madonna did the tribute speech for Michael Jackson...why? Who keeps thinking its a good idea to hire Madonna to eulogize Black artists who have passed away?— L E F T, PhD ⚫️ (@LeftSentThis) August 21, 2018
Did Madonna make her Aretha Tribute about Madonna with a sprinkle of Aretha's name in it??— 🏁 Jamal Crawford (@JCrossover) August 21, 2018
Madonna made Aretha Franklin's death about herself and her own musical journey, and honestly, this is some of the whitest shit I have ever seen. #VMAs— Evette Dionne (@freeblackgirl) August 21, 2018
What a touching tribute to Aretha Franklin where Madonna talked about her goddam self for like 30 mins— KFC (@KFCBarstool) August 21, 2018
Madonna really gentrified an entire tribute to Aretha with more anecdotes than a Presidential candidate. You gotta be kidding me... #VMAs— Jeff (@JeffJSays) August 21, 2018