This was news that brought Ava DuVernay to tears.
“Imagine believing the world doesn’t care about real stories of black people. It always made me sad. So when Netflix just shared with me that 23M+ accounts worldwide have watched #WhenTheySeeUs, I cried. Our stories matter and can move across the globe. A new truth for a new day,” the Oscar-nominated director to tears tweeted on Wednesday.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the 23 million figure would put When They See Us on par with documentary series Our Planet, which Netflix said in April was on track to be viewed by 25 million member accounts in its first month.” The company normally doesn’t provide viewership numbers for its shows and films, but has in the past year been more open about the performances of some its strongest projects.
Text “RICKEY” to 71007 to join the Rickey Smiley Morning Show mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
Of course Black Twitter was excited about this news:
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The film captures the infamous 1989 Central Park rape case of how five young Black and Latino boys were coerced into admitting that they were part of a brutal rape that almost left the victim dead. Later, in 2002 Matias Reyes, who was already in prison for rape and murder, came forward and confessed to the crime with DNA confirming he was telling the truth. The convictions for all five men were vacated and in 2014 they were awarded $40 million dollars.
ALSO TRENDING ON RICKEYSMILEYMORNINGSHOW.COM:
- Nipsey Hussle’s Daughter Honors Him At Her Graduation
- Aoki Lee Simmons Stuns At Senior Prom [PHOTOS]
- Cause of Death For Toni Braxton’s Niece Revealed
Jharell Jerome Is The Breakout Star Of 'When They See Us'
1. Netflix FYSEE Scene Stealer PanelSource:Getty 1 of 16
2. Celebrities Visits SiriusXM - May 21, 2019Source:Getty 2 of 16
3. Celebrities Visit Build - May 21, 2019Source:Getty 3 of 16
4. "When They See Us" World PremiereSource:Getty 4 of 16
5. "When They See Us" World PremiereSource:Getty 5 of 16
6. "When They See Us" World PremiereSource:Getty 6 of 16
7. Teen Vogue's 2019 Young Hollywood Party Presented By Snap - ArrivalsSource:Getty 7 of 16
8. Teen Vogue's Young Hollywood Party, Presented By Snap - ArrivalsSource:Getty 8 of 16
9. 2019 Sundance Film Festival - "Selah And The Spades" PremiereSource:Getty 9 of 16
10. 2019 Sundance Film Festival - "Selah And The Spades" PremiereSource:Getty 10 of 16
11. BET Hip Hop Awards 2017 - Roaming Red CarpetSource:Getty 11 of 16
12. Screening Of AT&T Audience Network's "Mr. Mercedes" - After PartySource:Getty 12 of 16
13. AT&T AUDIENCE Network Summer 2017 TCA PanelsSource:Getty 13 of 16
14. AT&T AUDIENCE Network Summer 2017 TCA PanelsSource:Getty 14 of 16
15. Netflix FYSEE Scene Stealer PanelSource:Getty 15 of 16
16.16 of 16
Ava DuVernay Cried When She Learned That 23 Million People Streamed ‘When They See Us’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com