“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.org calling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- Duane Martin Says Tisha Campbell Is Lying About Domestic Abuse
- The Cast Of ‘In Living Color’ To Reunite For 25th Anniversary!
- Tamera Reminisces About The First Time She Met Jay-Z & Gets Dragged By The Beyhive [VIDEO]
- Lee Daniels Posts Instagram Video About Jussie Smollett And ‘Empire’ Morale
- Woman Sues Harvard For Profiting Off Photos Of Her Enslaved Ancestors
- White Supremacist Arrested For Kidnapping And Raping Black Victim
- 8 Artists Who Are Poets And Ain’t Afraid To Show It
- Report: Cliff Dixon, Former Basketball Star, Killed Outside Of His Birthday Party In Atlanta
- RIP Jacorey Harris: Body Of Teen Reported Missing In January Found
- Rasheeda Stepped Out On Kirk, Spice Bleaches Her Skin, Scrapp + Moniece… & More Mess In #LHHATL Super Trailer