One Philadelphia native has decided to mark her milestone year by opening a student loan debt repayment that is the first of its kind.
Sonia Lewis, known to many as The Student Loan Doctor, is on a mission to put Sallie Mae and Navient in check. She has been helping people forge a path out of debt for a while. It all started in her place of worship.
“I started doing consulting for people in church, then the church sent the community, and the community sent friends,” she told The Shade Room. “My passion started from my own debt. I needed to get myself together and sit my own self down. I felt like other people needed this too.”
She continued, “Plus, I realized there were no classes to help people really understand their debt.”
Business was so good that Lewis had to set up shop! The Shade Room reports, she has opened what may be the first ever black and woman-owned student loan debt repayment company. Her business is called The Student Loan Doctor, LLC. On her website, she offers a number of resources
If you can’t make it to Philly for an in-person consultation, she’ll come to you. Reportedly, Lewis does workshops all over the United States while she’s working on her doctorate degree.
“My dissertation is on how student loan debt disproportionately affects African Americans. African-American women are affected by student loan debt the most because we have the most degrees,” Lewis shared. “As a result, we see black women excluded from home buying because of credit and other issues, and that trickles down.”
You can also tune in for some of Lewis’ advice on her podcast.
Lewis also offers up a number of resources on her website, which help clients to avoid wage garnishments, set their own budgets, and follow steps for successful student loan repayments.
Tackling student loan debt, but Lewis encourages clients to face that truth head-on so that they can handle it now and build wealth down the road.
“It’s possible but you also have to be realistic. I always like to say we start with hope and a plan. We have to talk about budgets, and design life around your student loans because it isn’t going anywhere,” she said.
Lewis adds that people have many options for paying back their student loans, but they just need to find the right solution.
“There are so many programs that are legit to get this forgiven. We aim to be creative with solutions,” Lewis explaine. “It’s not just about the debt but learning to plan financially so your children’s children also have a plan.”
- Kodak Black Throws Rock At News Reporter After Being Released From Jail, Police Report Filed
- Dame Dash Reveals He Declined ‘Soul Plane’ Offer Because He Was “Offended” By Its Racist Humor
- Prayers Up: Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Dementia, Primary Progressive Aphasia
- High School Students Accused Of Creating Online ‘Slave Auction’ In ‘Black People Are Low Class’ Snapchat Group
- Two Facing Murder Charges for Kansas City Shooting
- White Folks Are Mad At Black-Owned Business Fair In North Las Vegas For Black History Month
- Killer Mike Explains Why He Thinks Black Men Should Marry Black Women
- Monica Responds To Accusations Of Getting BBL Surgery After Viral Concert Footage Shows Her Curves.
- [WATCH] Jeezy’s Full ‘Tiny Desk Concert’ and Set List
- Béyonce, Blue Ivy And Mama Tina Dazzle In White At Cécred Launch Party
30-Year-Old Opens First Black Woman-Owned Student Loan Debt Repayment Company was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
Authorities Respond To Reports Of Shooting at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church
Prayers Up: Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Dementia, Primary Progressive Aphasia
Mo’Nique Offers An Apology To Oprah Winfrey And Tyler Perry
Our Favorite Super Bowl Memes, Moments, Music and Random MESS
Mo’Nique’s Feud With Son Sparks Debate On Family Fighting In Public
Worst. Flight. Ever. : Delta Flight Forced To Turn Around After Maggots Fell From Overhead Bin
Monica Responds To Accusations Of Getting BBL Surgery After Viral Concert Footage Shows Her Curves.
Diddy Hires "Super Lawyer" Who Defended Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell