R&B star The Weeknd has announced that he’s cutting ties with H&M after the release of an advertisement that shocked many upon discovery it this morning. The Canadian singer said that he is”deeply offended” by the photo, which shows a young black child in a hoodie that reads, “Coolest monkey in the jungle.” People all over were spreading this photo including Pusha T and Nipsey Hussle, who both called out H&M for releasing something that is very obviously out of line. On top of the photo being a complete disgrace, The Roots’ drummer Questlove pointed out that this oversight proves H&M probably doesn’t have many–if any–black executives in the room to make sure incidents like this don’t happen.
I’m sure the apologies are a coming. And the ads will be pulled. I’m certain there will Be media fixers and whatnot and maybe a grand gesture like a donation to some charity (donations under these circumstances are the corporate version #SomeOfMyBestFriendsAre move if there ever was one) all this tells me about @HM is that the seats in the boardroom lack something…wanna take a guess?
Following the backlash, fans were happy to see The Weeknd standing up against the brand and cutting all ties, while also fearlessly showing his thoughts on the picture. The singer-songwriter previously teamed up with the Swedish fast-fashion retailer to release special edition menswear collections.
H&M apologized for the advertisement on Monday and has been taken off of their website. “This image has now been removed from all H&M channels and we apologize to anyone this may have offended,” an H&M spokesperson said. The apology, for many, was unsatisfactory and doesn’t satisfy many consumer’s concerns–including The Weeknd, who announced he wouldn’t be working with the brand after the apology was issued.
21 Pictures Of The Weeknd’s Hair (PHOTOS)
1. Baby Weeknd With A “Boosie”” FadeSource:Instagram 1 of 20
2. Middle Finger To The LawSource:Instagram 2 of 20
3. Throwback TressesSource:Instagram 3 of 20
4. Hat HairSource:Instagram 4 of 20
5. Stylin’ & Profilin’Source:Instagam 5 of 20
6. One PonySource:Instagram 6 of 20
7. Five PoniesSource:Instagram 7 of 20
8. Four PoniesSource:Instagram 8 of 20
9. High TopSource:Instagram 9 of 20
10. The Weeknd Ties His Own ShoesSource:Instagram 10 of 20
11. Bicken BackSource:Instagram 11 of 20
12. …But First, Let Me Take A SelfieSource:Instagram 12 of 20
13. Hair & HoodiesSource:Instagram 13 of 20
14. Chillin….Source:Instagram 14 of 20
15. Diggin’ The FadeSource:INstagram 15 of 20
16. What A CreationSource:Instagram 16 of 20
17. Dreaded SilhouetteSource:Instagram 17 of 20
18. Black & WhiteSource:Instagram 18 of 20
19. Branch OffSource:Instagram 19 of 20
20. Hey Abel!Source:Instagram 20 of 20
The Weeknd Cuts Ties With H&M Following The Brand’s Outpour Of Backlash Over Racist Advertisement was originally published on globalgrind.com