A surprising trend has been on the rise among Black women when it comes to their hair.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Several ladies have sung the praises of Vicks VapoRub as a miracle product for growth and strengthening. The internet’s Black hair community broke down just why the touted beauty buy is such a huge deal.
“It was very good and I can definitely see the work, the fix on my head,” said a YouTube vlogger who goes by the name of The Sophie Show. “I advise for people to try it and see what it does.”
When rubbed into the scalp and on hair edges, Vicks ingredients Menthol, camphor and eucalyptus oils help to stimulate hair growth, Sophie wrote on YouTube. Menthol is a compound for clearing pores of irritants, and eucalyptus and camphor are both essential oils that stimulate the hair follicles and improve circulation.
Some Black women, both with relaxed and natural hair, have jumped on the Vicks bandwagon because of those ingredients. The average time to see significant hair growth is around 30-60 days, said online Vicks supporters.
Some women, however, are skeptical about Vicks.
“Because Vicks has petroleum in it, this is one product women don’t want to put on their hair,” vlogger Kimera Yvonne wrote.
The debate has prompted many women to wonder if the product really works for growth and strengthening. One doctor warned that Vicks can have harmful effects.
“While Vicks VapoRub is generally safe, a brief look at the ingredients list several oils that could potentially cause allergic or irritant skin reactions as with any topically applied product,” Dr. Carlos Charles, a New York City-based dermatologist who specializes in working with people of color, told ESSENCE.
- Kanye West Announces New Album + Project With Kid Cudi
- “Scandal” Finale Recap: It All Ends With The Hell And High Water
- Syracuse Frat Suspended After Footage Of Pledge Professing Hate For “N*ggers,” “Sp*cs,” & “K*kes” Surfaces [VIDEO]
- Rickey Smiley Cuts Up With Smokie Norful [VIDEO]
33 Short Natural Haircuts That Will Make You Want To Take Out Your Weave And Risk It All
1. @LupitaNyongoSource:Instagram 1 of 28
2. @authentically.bSource:Instagram 2 of 28
3. @AvielleAmorSource:Instagram 3 of 28
4. @BritneyDee3Source:Instagram 4 of 28
5. @discoveringme2511Source:Instagram 5 of 28
6. @myfashionslashlifeSource:Instagram 6 of 28
7. @iamnicoleokekeSource:Instagram 7 of 28
8. @CocoDamour88Source:Instagram 8 of 28
9. @GeliForLeFacSource:Instagram 9 of 28
10. @KrizztinaMitchellSource:Instagram 10 of 28
11. @misskendrakSource:Instagram 11 of 28
12. @pooh.meighSource:Instagram 12 of 28
13. @daniellelit_Source:Instagram 13 of 28
14. @ms_tee_ngomaneSource:Instagram 14 of 28
15. @ms_tee_ngomaneSource:Instagram 15 of 28
16. @modelesque_nicSource:Instagram 16 of 28
17. @naturalbelleSource:Instagram 17 of 28
18. @bankonmephotography2Source:Instagram 18 of 28
19. @authentically.bSource:Instagram 19 of 28
20. @chasingcurlySource:Instagram 20 of 28
21. @splendidbeauty_Source:Instagram 21 of 28
22. @magically_coiledSource:Instagram 22 of 28
23. @lisaalamodeSource:Instagram 23 of 28
24. @hairdivaccSource:Instagram 24 of 28
25. @justzuuSource:Instagram 25 of 28
26. @kiishographerSource:Instagram 26 of 28
27. @kdom_muaSource:Instagram 27 of 28
28. @twylachristinaSource:Instagram 28 of 28