In their newest issue, Essence Magazine is celebrating the sistas of the resistance—and it’s seriously amazing!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Rocking “Stay Woke” tee-shirts, this is one powerful array of women: writer/producer Shonda Rhimes, MSNBC’s Joy-Ann Reid, Women’s March co-chairs Tamika Mallory, Linda Sarsour and Carmen Perez. In addition, our favorite political commentator Angela Rye, Circle of Mothers founder Sybrina Fulton, #OscarsSoWhite April Reign and #BlackLivesMatter cofounder Opal Tometi also made the list!
Woke Cover Alert! In our May issue, we're launching our first-ever #Woke100 list. It's filled with change agents who are part of a new guard of activists, educators, journalists, thinkers and creators who are more than conscious–they're ever vigilant about creating a nation in which we all have a seat at the table. Available on newsstands Friday, 4/21.
This is the first time the publication has had this many women on one cover.
According to the website, each woman talks about her role in the fight for Black liberation, highlighting why participation in the movement is more urgent than ever.
“Women can empower ourselves by embracing the intersections of our advocacy and educating ourselves on the issues impacting others,” says Janaye Ingram, one of the organizers of the Women’s March.
So dope! #StayWoke y’all!
Catch the issue on newsstands on April 17.
HelloBeautiful Presents Women To Know, Class Of 2017: The Comeback Queens
1. Maxine WatersSource:Getty 1 of 17
2. Soledad O'BrienSource:Getty 2 of 17
3. Michelle Gadsden-WilliamsSource:. 3 of 17
4. Jamira BurleySource:Getty 4 of 17
5. Lisa Nicole CarsonSource:Getty 5 of 17
6. Nadia LopezSource:Getty 6 of 17
7. Draya MicheleSource:Getty 7 of 17
8. Miko BranchSource:Getty 8 of 17
9. Regina KingSource:Getty 9 of 17
10. Gabourey SidibeSource:Getty 10 of 17
11. April RyanSource:Getty 11 of 17
12. Roxanne ShanteSource:Getty 12 of 17
13. Fantasia BarrinoSource:Getty 13 of 17
14. Savannah MaziyaSource:. 14 of 17
15. CiaraSource:Getty 15 of 17
16. Ricki FairleySource:Courtesy of Ricki Fairley 16 of 17
17. Terrie WilliamsSource:Getty 17 of 17