A New York woman has been charged with a hate crime after reportedly declaring “I don’t want to sit by a black person,” before allegedly stabbing a black man who offered her a seat on the subway.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
According to the New York Daily News, Stephanie Pazmino, 30, was arrested Sunday night for allegedly stabbing the man in the left arm and slashing his face on the 4 train. She was charged with assault as a hate crime, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon, PIX 11 reports.
The victim, Ijan DaVonte Jarrett, 44, reportedly offered the woman his seat on the subway, to which she refused and told her cousin in Spanish that she did not want to sit by a black person.
The victim told press, “I got up anyway and said to her that she didn’t have to sit next to me.”
Later, when Pazmino was exiting the train, she reportedly began punching him before allegedly stabbing him.
The victim was hospitalized and is in stable condition.
In Memory Of: The Ones We Lost In 2016
1.Source:Getty 1 of 15
2. Sharon JonesSource:Getty 2 of 15
3. VanitySource:Getty 3 of 15
4. Tommy FordSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. Shawty LoSource:Getty 5 of 15
6. Florence HendersonSource:Getty 6 of 15
7. Gene WilderSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. Muhammad AliSource:Getty 8 of 15
9. Malik 'Phife Dawg" TaylorSource:Getty 9 of 15
10. Tony BurtonSource:Getty 10 of 15
11. Maurice WhiteSource:Getty 11 of 15
12. Gwen IfillSource:Getty 12 of 15
13. PrinceSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. David BowieSource:Getty 14 of 15
15. Alan ThickeSource:Getty 15 of 15