Members of the Young Conservatives at the University of Texas-Austin recently held an affirmative action bake sale that diminished the value and accomplishments of people of color, sparking outrage and protests, according to USA Today.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Part of the issue was the pricing structure that was designed “to illustrate this disastrous policy that demeans minorities on our campus by placing labels of race and gender on their accomplishments,” according to the event description posted on the YCT-UT Facebook page, writes the news outlet.
Check out a listing of the prices as displayed at The Young Conservatives’ bake sale:
- Asian male $1.50
- Asian female $1.25
- White male $1.00
- White female $.75
- African American male $.50
- African American female $.25
- Hispanic male $.50
- Hispanic female $.25
- Native American FREE
Why did the group think this was OK? Sound off in comments.
30 Black Women Who Died In Police Custody
1. Ralkina JonesSource:Instagram 1 of 13
2. Joyce CurnellSource:Instagram 2 of 13
3. Sandra BlandSource:Instagram 3 of 13
4. Miriam CareySource:Getty 4 of 13
5. Shereese FrancisSource:Instagram 5 of 13
6. Rekia BoydSource:Instagram 6 of 13
7. Alesia ThomasSource:Instagram 7 of 13
8. Darnesha Harris8 of 13
9. Tarika WilsonSource:Instagram 9 of 13
10. Kendra JamesSource:Instagram 10 of 13
11. Eleanor BumpursSource:Instagram 11 of 13
12. Barbara DawsonSource:Instagram 12 of 13
13. Jessica WilliamsSource:Instagram 13 of 13
SOURCE: USA Today | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO Source: NewsOne