Nicole Murphy has been scammed.
Troy David Stratos, a financial adviser and close friend to Eddie Murphy‘s ex-wife Nicole, has confessed to swindling $10 million of the reality star’s $15 million divorce settlement. Strators, 50, persuaded Nicole to let him invest a bulk of her funds into offshore accounts in the Middle East with the promise of a high rate of return. Turns out, Stratos hadn’t invested one dollar into these said accounts, but instead funneled massive sums of Nicole’s money into a trust which funded his own lavish lifestyle.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
It gets worse. The conman, who has known Nicole since they were teenagers, pulled the wool over her eyes several times. The pair took a trip in Europe together, which Stratos claimed he’d paid for out of his own pocket. Unbeknownst to Nicole, Stratos opened a secret bank account in Florida and used portions of her money to pay for the entire trip. The pseudo financial advisor also conned Nicole into letting him live in her 10-bedroom home in Granite Bay, California while he promised connections to a royal Middle Eastern family interested in purchasing the property. Turns out, there was no royal family to speak of.
Sources close to Stratos say that Nicole isn’t his only victim. The conman has swindled dozens of wealthy people under the guise of promised investments, using their money to support his gambling addiction and extravagant lifestyle. “I’m glad to hopefully have this really bad chapter in my life coming to an end with Troy Stratos finally being held accountable for what he did to me and my family,” Murphy told The Daily Mail. “Hopefully with his day in court, justice will prevail and Troy Stratos will never be able to take advantage of someone’s trust ever again.”
He is pleading guilty pleas to 11 counts of wire and mail fraud, two counts of money laundering, and one count of obstruction of justice. He scheduled to be sentenced on November and faces up to 20 years in jail. Murphy and her lawyers also plan to hit Stratos with a civil suit against in order to recover at least some of the millions he took from her.
We Tried To Make It Work: Divorced Celebs
1. Mike EppsSource:PR Photos 1 of 16
2. Dwayne WadeSource:PR 2 of 16
3. Kimora Lee Simmons and Djimon Honsou3 of 16
4. Usher and Tameka Raymond were once married…but as we know, it didn’t work out.4 of 16
5. Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey5 of 16
6. Mashonda Tifrere was once married to Swizz Beatz.6 of 16
7. Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose7 of 16
8. Kimora and Russell Simmons8 of 16
9. Janet Jackson has been divorced…twice.Source:AP) 9 of 16
10. ‘All My Children’ star and current guest star on ‘Power’ Debbi Morgan has been married…and divorced four times.10 of 16
11. Eric Benet was married to and divorced from Halle Berry. Now they are both married to other people.11 of 16
12. Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz were once husband and wife.12 of 16
13. And we thought it would last – Evelyn Lozada and Ocho Cinco.13 of 16
14. Yup, Shaunie really was a basketball wife, she was married to Shaquille O’Neal.14 of 16
15. Allen and Tawanna Iverson are legally divorced, but have apparently reconciled, although they haven’t remarried.15 of 16
16. Not quite divorced yet, but the papers have been filed and it’s been finalized…but will Khloe and Lamar go through with it?16 of 16
SOURCE: The Daily Mail | IMAGE CREDIT: Splash News