Colin Kaepernick sparked outrage with some NFL fans when he decided not to stand up for the National Anthem- a constitutional right that he has. Despite that fact, the debate about whether or not he should be “allowed” to do so wages on. But Jeff Johnson explains what is inherently wrong with criticizing anyone, let alone one of America’s most talented athletes, for exercising their right to speak their mind.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Click on the audio player to hear him further explain the historical and political context of Kaepernick’s decision in this edition of ‘3 Things You Should Know’ on “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show.”
Listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” live weekdays 6-10am EST.
RELATED: Will The Cleveland Browns Sign Colin Kaepernick Or RG3? [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
RELATED: Former NFL Player Rodney Harrison Criticizes Colin Kaepernick, Says He’s Not Black Then Apologizes
RELATED: Colin Kaepernick Stands Up For Black People By Sitting Down During National Anthem [VIDEO + POLL]
20 Pics Of Celebrities Protesting (PHOTOS)
20 photos Launch gallery
1. Kanye West joined Russell Simmons for the Occupy Wall Street protests.
1 of 20
2. Jay Z and the Brooklyn Nets stand in solidarity with Eric Garner.
2 of 20
3. Dave Chappelle posed with his hands up for Mike Brown on the red carpet.
3 of 20
4. J. Cole joined the protests in Ferguson after Mike Brown’s death.
4 of 20
5. Q-Tip joined the Mike Brown protests in New York.
5 of 20
6. Beyonce and Jay Z supported Trayvon Martin’s parents after his death.
6 of 20
7. Russell Brand joined the Occupy Wall Street protests.
7 of 20
8. Not only did Lupe Fiasco join the OWS protest, but he named a song after it.
8 of 20
9. Mark Ruffalo joined the human climate campaign.
9 of 20
10. Russell Simmons was joined by Katy Perry and Russell Brand during OWS.
10 of 20
11. Jay Leno protested the Brunei Hotels in Beverly Hills.
11 of 20
12. Susan Sarandon joined OWS protests.
12 of 20
13. Al Sharpton always gets his voice out to the masses during times of protest.
13 of 20
14. Rev Run, Minister Benjamin Chavez Muhammad, and Alicia Keys at the Mobilization for Education Hip-Hop Summit Action Network’s protest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposed education budget cuts.
14 of 20
15. Anne Hathaway protested at Union Square for the Occupy Wall Street campaign with her boyfriend Adam Shulman.
15 of 20
16. George Clooney spoke during “Save Darfur: Rally To Stop Genocide.”
16 of 20
17. Actor Sean Penn and Reverend Jesse Jackson marched with activists during an anti-war rally.
17 of 20
18. Spokesperson Hayden Panettiere at a conference for her Save the Whales campaign.
18 of 20
19. John Lennon and Yoko Ono staged a ‘bed-in for peace’ and intended to stay in bed for seven days as a protest against war and violence in the world.
19 of 20
20. Chris Brown, Wale, Nelly and a few more celebs posed with their hands up in support of Mike Brown.
20 of 20