Michael Jordan is trying to make up for the years people said he’s done nothing for the African-American community.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Following his generous contributions of $1 million to the Institute for Community-Police Relations and $1 million to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the NBA legend is doing a lot more sharing these days. According to reports, MJ has donated $5 million to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Museum officials revealed that the gift is the largest from a sports figure to the 19th Smithsonian museum and pushes private donations to $278 million. Including federal aid, the museum, which President Obama will open in September, has raised more than $548 million.
The sneaker maven said in a statement, “I am grateful for the opportunity to support this museum. I also am indebted to the historic contributions of community leaders and athletes such as Jesse Owens, whose talent, commitment and perseverance broke racial barriers and laid the groundwork for the successful careers of so many African Americans in athletics and beyond.”
Jordan also gifted a jersey he wore during the 1996 NBA Finals to the museum’s permanent collection, which will be highlighted in the inaugural exhibition featuring artifacts associated with 17 “game-changing” athletes, including the former Chicago Bulls legend.
Stirring Photos Of The Black Lives Matter Protests In Baton Rouge
1. Baton Rouge Protests1 of 15
2. Baton Rouge Protests2 of 15
3. Baton Rouge Protests3 of 15
4. Baton Rouge Protests4 of 15
5. Baton Rouge Protests5 of 15
6. Baton Rouge Protests6 of 15
7. Baton Rouge Protests7 of 15
8. Baton Rouge Protestors8 of 15
9. Baton Rouge Protestors9 of 15
10. Baton Rouge Protests10 of 15
11. Baton Rouge Protests11 of 15
12. Baton Rouge Protests12 of 15
13. Baton Rouge Protests13 of 15
14. Baton Rouge Protests14 of 15
15. Baton Rouge Protests15 of 15
SOURCE: Washington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Michael Jordan Donates $5 Million To African-American Museum was originally published on globalgrind.com