The North Charleston, South Carolina police officer who shot an unarmed Black man eight times as he was running away was granted a $500,000 bond Monday afternoon, NBC News reports.
Michael Slager, 34, was also given a trial date of Oct. 31. State Circuit Judge Clifton Newman, who expressed concern that it was taking too long to bring Slager to trial, approved the bond, saying the former police officer could go free on house arrest, the report notes.
Slager was indicted by a grand jury in the killing of Walter Scott due in large part to a graphic video that showed Slager shooting the 50-year-old — who he was attempting to pull over in a traffic stop last April — and dropping an item that looked like a Taser next to the man’s body.
The video was yet another example of the excessive force police officers often use on members of the Black community, fueling weeks of protests and demonstrations to denounce police violence.
Because Slager’s trial date isn’t until October, lawyers argued that keeping him in jail was akin to punishing him for the crime without a conviction. Slager was originally denied bond in September of last year. His trial has been pushed back to give precedence to the trial of Dylann Roof, the self-proclaimed White supremacist who shot and killed nine parishioners at a historic Black church because of their skin color.
The massacre occurred in the same state just months after Scott was shot to death.
Under a typical surety bond, Slager would have to put up 10 percent of the order — in this case, $50,000 of personal funds — to engage a third party to guarantee he will show up for court appearances. Newman said Slager would be able to leave his home only for court hearings and to visit his attorneys, doctors or church.
Last fall, Slager filed a lawsuit claiming the police association that promised to pay his legal bills after he was arrested and charged in the shooting have failed to do so.
Justice For…A List Of People Killed By Police In 2014 (PHOTOS)
1. Jordan Baker, 26, Killed January 2014 In Texas1 of 20
2. McKenzie Cochran, 25, Killed January 2014 In Detroit2 of 20
3. Keith Vidal, 18, Killed January 2014 In North Carolina3 of 20
4. Yvette Smith, 47, Killed February 2014 In Texas4 of 20
5. Victor White III, 22, Killed March 2014 In Louisiana5 of 20
6. Dontre Hamilton, 31, Killed April 2014 In Milwaukee6 of 20
7. Jason Harrison, 28, Killed June 2014 In Texas7 of 20
8. Eric Garner, 43, Killed July 2014 In NYC8 of 20
9. Ezell Ford, Killed August 2014 In California9 of 20
10. Dante Parker, 36, Killed August 2014 In California10 of 20
11. Kajieme Powell, 25, Killed August 2014 In St. Louis11 of 20
12. Omar Abrego, 37, Killed August 2014 In California12 of 20
13. Maria Godinez, 22, Killed August 2014 In Orlando13 of 20
14. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Killed August 2014 in Ferguson, Mo.14 of 20
15. Darrien Hunt, 22, Killed September 2014 In Utah15 of 20
16. Jack Jacquez, 27, Killed November 2014 In Colorado16 of 20
17. Tamir Rice, 12, Killed November 2014 In Ohio17 of 20
18. Akai Gurley, 28, Killed November 2014 In NYC18 of 20
19. Tanesha Anderson, 37, Killed November 2014 In Cleveland19 of 20
20. Rumain Brisbon, 34, Killed December 2014 In Arizona20 of 20
SOURCE: NBC | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Michael Slager, Police Officer Who Killed Walter Scott, Released On $500,000 Bond was originally published on newsone.com