The North Charleston, South Carolina police officer who shot an unarmed Black man eight times as he was running away was granted a $500,000 bond Monday afternoon, NBC News reports.
Michael Slager, 34, was also given a trial date of Oct. 31. State Circuit Judge Clifton Newman, who expressed concern that it was taking too long to bring Slager to trial, approved the bond, saying the former police officer could go free on house arrest, the report notes.
Slager was indicted by a grand jury in the killing of Walter Scott due in large part to a graphic video that showed Slager shooting the 50-year-old — who he was attempting to pull over in a traffic stop last April — and dropping an item that looked like a Taser next to the man’s body.
The video was yet another example of the excessive force police officers often use on members of the Black community, fueling weeks of protests and demonstrations to denounce police violence.
Because Slager’s trial date isn’t until October, lawyers argued that keeping him in jail was akin to punishing him for the crime without a conviction. Slager was originally denied bond in September of last year. His trial has been pushed back to give precedence to the trial of Dylann Roof, the self-proclaimed White supremacist who shot and killed nine parishioners at a historic Black church because of their skin color.
The massacre occurred in the same state just months after Scott was shot to death.
Under a typical surety bond, Slager would have to put up 10 percent of the order — in this case, $50,000 of personal funds — to engage a third party to guarantee he will show up for court appearances. Newman said Slager would be able to leave his home only for court hearings and to visit his attorneys, doctors or church.
Last fall, Slager filed a lawsuit claiming the police association that promised to pay his legal bills after he was arrested and charged in the shooting have failed to do so.
Justice For…A List Of People Killed By Police In 2014 (PHOTOS)
1. Jordan Baker, 26, Killed January 2014 In TexasSource: 1 of 20
2. McKenzie Cochran, 25, Killed January 2014 In DetroitSource: 2 of 20
3. Keith Vidal, 18, Killed January 2014 In North CarolinaSource: 3 of 20
4. Yvette Smith, 47, Killed February 2014 In TexasSource: 4 of 20
5. Victor White III, 22, Killed March 2014 In LouisianaSource: 5 of 20
6. Dontre Hamilton, 31, Killed April 2014 In MilwaukeeSource: 6 of 20
7. Jason Harrison, 28, Killed June 2014 In TexasSource: 7 of 20
8. Eric Garner, 43, Killed July 2014 In NYCSource: 8 of 20
9. Ezell Ford, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource: 9 of 20
10. Dante Parker, 36, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource: 10 of 20
11. Kajieme Powell, 25, Killed August 2014 In St. LouisSource: 11 of 20
12. Omar Abrego, 37, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource: 12 of 20
13. Maria Godinez, 22, Killed August 2014 In OrlandoSource: 13 of 20
14. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Killed August 2014 in Ferguson, Mo.Source: 14 of 20
15. Darrien Hunt, 22, Killed September 2014 In UtahSource: 15 of 20
16. Jack Jacquez, 27, Killed November 2014 In ColoradoSource: 16 of 20
17. Tamir Rice, 12, Killed November 2014 In OhioSource: 17 of 20
18. Akai Gurley, 28, Killed November 2014 In NYCSource: 18 of 20
19. Tanesha Anderson, 37, Killed November 2014 In ClevelandSource: 19 of 20
20. Rumain Brisbon, 34, Killed December 2014 In ArizonaSource: 20 of 20
SOURCE: NBC | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Michael Slager, Police Officer Who Killed Walter Scott, Released On $500,000 Bond was originally published on newsone.com