What’s it like for a White woman to raise a Black son? Actress Sandra Bullock recently spoke out about her concerns while raising her son in today’s tumultuous racial climate, saying she wants her son “to be judged for the man he is.”
Speaking with Glamour magazine, the 51-year-old mom said her adopted son Louis Bardo Bullock, “forced her to get her sh*t” together.” Bullock, aware of the peril both men and women of color have faced over the years, says more has to be done to keep pushing the message of civil rights heroes before us.
Bullock tells Glamour:
“You see how far we’ve come in civil rights—and where we’ve gotten back to now,” she said. “I want my son to be safe. I want my son to be judged for the man he is. We are at a point now where if we don’t do something, we will have destroyed what so many amazing people have done. You look at women’s rights; it’s turning into a mad, mad world out there. But sometimes it needs to get really loud for people to say, ‘I can’t unsee this.’ If I could ride in a bubble with him for the rest of his life, I would. But I can’t.”
Bullock adopted Louis in January 2010 from New Orleans. She began the process of adoption back in 2006 when she was married to Jesse James. After finalizing her divorce, she continued the process as a single parent.
Rumors recently surfaced that the actress has also completed the process of adopting a baby girl.
Famous Folks Who Were Adopted, Orphaned Or Have Adopted
1. NFL wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was raised by his aunt Shirley and her husband after his mother was incarcerated for intent to distribute cocaine when he was 11-years-old. His father was serving overseas in the Army..1 of 20
2. Comedian Tommy Davidson was adopted by a white couple when he was around two years old. (Photo: PR Photos)2 of 20
3. Dancer and actress Victoria Rowell was a foster child for most of her childhood with both black and white families. (PR)3 of 20
4. The late Nelson Mandela was taken to a larger village and raised as a ward after his father died.4 of 20
5. Rachel Crow of X Factor was adopted by a white family when she was small.5 of 20
6. Darryl McDaniels of RUN-D.M.C. discovered he was adopted while gathering information for his autobiography in 2000. (PR)6 of 20
7. Louis Armstrong was raised by his grandmother and in an orphanage when she was unable to care for him. (Photo: AP)7 of 20
8. Actor & Rapper Ice-T was orphaned at the age nine and was looked after by a variety of family members and neighbors. (AP)8 of 20
9. Actor and comedian Jamie Foxx was adopted at seven months by his maternal grandmother. (Photo: AP)9 of 20
10. Nicole Richie was adopted by legendary singer Lionel Richie. (Photo: AP)10 of 20
11. Bo Diddley was adopted and raised by his mother's cousin, Gussie McDaniel, whose surname he adopted. (Photo: AP)11 of 20
12. Malcolm X was raised in an orphanage and in foster care. (Photo: AP)12 of 20
13. Marilyn Monroe spent much of her childhood in foster homes due to her mother's mental illness. (Photo: AP)13 of 20
14. Daunte Culpepper was adopted by one of the housemothers of the jail his teenage mom was in when he was born. (Photo: AP)14 of 20
15. Keegan Michael Key was adopted as a child by two social workers. Later on in life her met his mother and found out he had two half brothers who died.15 of 20
16. Keyshia Cole was adopted at the age of two by family friends Leon and Yvonne Cole which is where her last name comes from. She met her biological father boxer Virgil Hunter in 2016 after a paternity test.Source:Getty 16 of 20
17. Gary Coleman He was adopted as a small child by W. G. Coleman, a fork-lift operator, and Edmonia Sue, a nurse practitioner (Photo Credit: Facebook)17 of 20
18. Jesse Jackson was adopted by his stepfather at the age of one. He took his stepfathers last name. (AP)18 of 20
19. Viola Davis Julius Tennon adopted their little girl Genesis as newborn in October of 201119 of 20
20. Madonna20 of 20
Don’t Miss Our Hottest Stories! Get The NewsOne Flip App for iPhone: Flip, Skip — Or Send Us a Tip!
Sandra Bullock Opens Up About Raising A Black Child [VIDEO] was originally published on newsone.com