Nicki Minaj always said her first love was acting (shout out to the drama department at LaGuardia High School), and now she’s getting her very own comedy series on ABC Family. Officially a triple threat, the rapper-singer-actress is set to executive produce and star in a scripted show based on her life in Queens, NY.
Deadline reports: “
The project, from Aaron Kaplan’s Kapital Entertainment, will film a pilot episode in Minaj’s hometown this winter, with the intention to continue to series. Born in Saint James, Trinidad and Tobago, Minaj moved to the U.S. as a child. Written by Kate Angelo (Sex Tape), the untitled series will focus on Minaj’s growing up in Queens in the 1990s with her vibrant immigrant family and the personal and musical evolution that lead to her eventual rise to stardom.
ABC Family’s EVP Programming and Development, Karey Burke, is super excited about sharing Nicki’s story. She had this to say about the Nickster: “Nicki Minaj is a force to be reckoned with at everything she touches. Nicki is an international superstar, yet not everyone knows how inspiring and hilarious her true story is, and we can’t wait to share it with the world.”
Nicki is also extremely proud she’s getting back to acting. She said of her new gig: “This is one of the more unique adventures I’ve ever embarked on. I couldn’t be more proud and excited to team up with an amazing group of people to give the world something really special.”
Stay tuned for the pilot, Barbz.
All Coupled Up: Nicki Minaj & Meek Mill’s Cutest Moments
1. Quick pose with bae.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Always by each other’s side.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Omeeka at the 2015 All Star Game.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Those Miami nights 🌴Source:Instagram 4 of 14
5. When Bae photobombs your selfie.Source:Instagram 5 of 14
6. The Pinkprint Tour.Source:Instagram 6 of 14
7. PARISSS!!!!!!!!!!! U ARE THE FKN TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m obsessed. No one FUX with u!!!!!!! @meekmill thnku for cmn out boo #ThePinkprintTOUR 👅👅👅👅Source:Instagram 7 of 14
8. Partying at CIAA together.Source:Instagram 8 of 14
9. North Carolina still has my heart after all these years. 💋Source:Instagram 9 of 14
10. The smiles say it all.Source:Instagram 10 of 14
11. Kitty on.Source:Instagram 11 of 14
12. Mobbin with @karencivil @deendcr and some crazy man lookin like he’s going to war 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂Source:Instagram 12 of 14
13. The first picture that confirmed Omeeka.Source:Instagram 13 of 14
14. The money turned my noodles into pasta. 😩Source:Instagram 14 of 14
SOURCE: Deadline | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty