Fresh tension has arisen between St. Louis, Missouri residents and police officers following a shooting on Wednesday morning that has left yet another black teen dead.
The community had just begun to calm down following days of protests and confrontations with police in the wake of the 1-year anniversary of 18-year-old Mike Brown’s death, which occurred in Ferguson, Missouri when he was gunned down by white police officer Darren Wilson on August 9, 2014 while unarmed.
Just a little over a week after the anniversary, another 18-year-old black teen has met the same fate at the hands of white police officers, however, the officers involved are claiming that the young man in question was an armed suspect connected to an arrest warrant that they were allegedly attempting to serve when the shooting took place.
According to Yahoo News, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said the officers were in the process of issuing the search warrant in a “crime-ridden” neighborhood when two young black men fled through the back door of the targeted house. The chief claims the officers instructed the men to stop running but one suspect turned and pointed a gun at the officers instead. He says the officers then fired at the young man four times before he fell to the ground and died. The St. Louis Medical Examiner’s Office later identified the fatally wounded teen as 18-year-old Mansur Ball-Bey.
Not long after the incident occurred, residents took to the streets of St. Louis demanding answers and justice for the Ball-Bey, skeptical that the confrontation went as described by the officers involved.
Protests began earlier this afternoon and are still underway at present.
Images From Ferguson (And Beyond)
1. Mike Brown, just a normal 18-year-old on his way to collegeSource:Facebook 1 of 31
2. Mike Brown playing around with a family memberSource:Facebook 2 of 31
3. August 9, 2014 Mike Brown lays dead in the street in Ferguson, Missouri after being shot by a police officer.Source:Twitter 3 of 31
4. Mike Brown’s mother Lesley McFadden and father, Michael Brown, Sr. at a press conference.Source:Associated Press 4 of 31
5. Lesley McSpadden, Mike Brown’s mother and his stepfather, Louis Head, comfort each other after his death.Source:Associated Press 5 of 31
6. Residents of Ferguson, Missouri create a memorial where Mike Brown was killed.Source:Associated Press 6 of 31
7. Clergy and residents gather in Ferguson.Source:Francis family 7 of 31
8. Police in riot gear watch protesters in Ferguson.Source:Associated Press 8 of 31
9. Police and protestors come face to face in Ferguson.Source:Associated Press 9 of 31
10. Riot police on the scene in Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Associated Press 10 of 31
11. Protesters in Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Associated Press 11 of 31
12.12 of 31
13. Peaceful protest in Ferguson, Missouri.13 of 31
14. Howard University students stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Instagram 14 of 31
15. National Moment of Silence protest around the country, this one shut down Times SquareSource:Twitter 15 of 31
16. Missouri Highway Patrol captain Ron Johnson changes the police tone in Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Associated Press 16 of 31
17. Milwaukee, Wisconsin protestors stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Facebook 17 of 31
18. Out of the mouths of babes.Source:Facebook 18 of 31
19. A candle for peace glows as part of a vigil in St. LouisSource:Twitter 19 of 31
20. Teens in Philadelphia observe the NMOS’14. It’s all about LOVE.Source:Bill Chenevert 20 of 31
21. Mike Brown allegedly involved in store confrontation/robbery before his death.Source:Ferguson Police 21 of 31
22. Police stats from Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Mother Jones infographic 22 of 31
23. Protesters vandalize a police vehicle outside of the Ferguson city hall on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.Source:AP 23 of 31
24. Police officers confront protesters Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.Source:AP 24 of 31
25. ferguson_pend1-custom25 of 31
26. Police shoot pepper spray toward protesters in front of the Ferguson Police Department on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.Source:AP 26 of 31
27. In this aerial photo,people look at a row of charred cars at a used car dealership, Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Dellwood, Mo.Source:AP 27 of 31
28. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Dallas, TX.Source:Instagram 28 of 31
29. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Atlanta, Georgia.Source:Instagram 29 of 31
30. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Boston, Massachusetts.Source:Instagram 30 of 31
31. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.Source:Instagram 31 of 31
Protests Erupt In St. Louis After Officer Fatally Shoots Allegedly Armed Black Teen was originally published on theurbandaily.com