Fresh tension has arisen between St. Louis, Missouri residents and police officers following a shooting on Wednesday morning that has left yet another black teen dead.
The community had just begun to calm down following days of protests and confrontations with police in the wake of the 1-year anniversary of 18-year-old Mike Brown’s death, which occurred in Ferguson, Missouri when he was gunned down by white police officer Darren Wilson on August 9, 2014 while unarmed.
Just a little over a week after the anniversary, another 18-year-old black teen has met the same fate at the hands of white police officers, however, the officers involved are claiming that the young man in question was an armed suspect connected to an arrest warrant that they were allegedly attempting to serve when the shooting took place.
According to Yahoo News, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said the officers were in the process of issuing the search warrant in a “crime-ridden” neighborhood when two young black men fled through the back door of the targeted house. The chief claims the officers instructed the men to stop running but one suspect turned and pointed a gun at the officers instead. He says the officers then fired at the young man four times before he fell to the ground and died. The St. Louis Medical Examiner’s Office later identified the fatally wounded teen as 18-year-old Mansur Ball-Bey.
Not long after the incident occurred, residents took to the streets of St. Louis demanding answers and justice for the Ball-Bey, skeptical that the confrontation went as described by the officers involved.
Protests began earlier this afternoon and are still underway at present.
Protests Erupt In St. Louis After Officer Fatally Shoots Allegedly Armed Black Teen was originally published on theurbandaily.com