Soulja Boy Arrested on Gun Charge After Traffic Stop in L.A.

Rapper Soulja Boy found himself in trouble with the law once again early Sunday morning, this time in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles. According to the Los Angeles Police Department, the 35-year-old artist, whose real name is Deandre Cortez Way, was pulled over around 2:30 a.m. near Genesee and Melrose avenues during a routine traffic stop.
Text “RICKEY” to 71007 to join the Rickey Smiley Morning Show mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM. SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE.
During the stop, officers reportedly discovered a firearm. Since Soulja Boy is a convicted felon, he was arrested on suspicion of felony gun possession. He was booked into the LAPD’s Wilshire Division jail shortly after the incident.
While the department has not released many additional details, this latest arrest is another entry in Soulja Boy’s troubled legal history. Just last year, in April 2023, the rapper was ordered by a jury to pay nearly half a million dollars to a woman who accused him of a violent assault at a party at his Malibu home in 2019. According to court documents, the woman claimed Soulja Boy verbally abused her, kicked her, and beat her with a gun. The jury awarded her $235,900 in punitive damages, on top of the same amount in compensatory damages the week before—totaling $471,800.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR APP AND TAKE US WITH YOU ANYWHERE!
This also isn’t the first time Soulja Boy has faced weapon-related charges. Back in December 2016, officers arrested him at his Hollywood Hills residence where a firearm was found. At that time, he was on probation, further complicating his legal standing.
Despite his massive breakout success in the mid-2000s with viral tracks and internet fame, Soulja Boy’s career has often been overshadowed by legal issues and controversies. His most recent run-in with the law raises questions about whether the rapper can ever truly move beyond his past and focus on his music and business ventures.
Related Article: Soulja Boy Found Liable In Sexual Assault Civil Suit
Related Article: Soulja Boy Facing Civil Trial On Rape & Kidnapping Charges
As of now, Soulja Boy has not released a public statement regarding the arrest. Fans and critics alike are watching closely to see how this latest chapter in the rapper’s ongoing saga unfolds.
HEAD BACK TO THE RICKEYSMILEYMORNINGSHOW.COM HOMEPAGE
- The 50 Hottest, Flyest & Sexiest Looks from Beyoncé’s ‘Cowboy Carter’ Tour
- Celebs Who Turn 50 This Year
- Urban One Radiothon For St. Jude Kids Raises $1.6 Million
- US Embassy Official Told Trump’s South African Refugee Program Is For White People Only, New Report Says
- Rest In Power: Notable Black Folks Who We’ve Lost In 2025