Six-time NBA champion and Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan donated $2 million on Tuesday (September 18) to assist residents of the Carolinas — $1 million each to the American Red Cross and the Foundation For The Carolinas’ Hurricane Florence Response Fund, according to USA Today.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Jordan, who grew up playing basketball in Wilmington, NC, said that the devastation “just hits home…I know all of those places: Wilmington, Fayetteville, Myrtle Beach, New Bern, and Wallace, which is where my father is from. So quite naturally it hits home, and I felt like I had to act in a sense that this is my home.”
In addition to the donation, more than 100 members of the Hornets organization will help pack disaster food boxes Friday at Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina in Charlotte. The disaster food boxes, which provide individual meals, will be shipped to Wilmington, Fayetteville and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and distributed to those directly impacted by the hurricane.
The goal? To deliver 5,000 food boxes.
This is great news and I’m sure that the people of Wilmington and the surrounding areas appreciate the support from their hometown favorite and sports legend.
READ MORE STORIES ON RICKEYSMILEYMORNINGSHOW.COM:
- HBCU U-KNOW Spotlight: Civil Rights Activist Ralph Abernathy Of Alabama State University [WATCH]
- Maria More Explains How To Make Eating Healthy Easier [WATCH]
- Deion Sanders Responds To Nick Saban Accusing Jackson State Of Paying $1 Million To Top Recruit
- Ciara Shares BTS Moments From Her ‘Sports Illustrated’ Cover Shoot
- Children’s Book Celebrates Greenwood District’s Black Entrepreneurial Trailblazers
- Nuthin’ But A G Thang: Snoop Dogg Announces New Death Row Album & New Single
- Tabitha Brown’s YouTube Preschool Series ‘Tab Time’ Gets Second Season Pickup
- Cardi B Shares How To Change Diapers With Long Nails, Even Non-Parents Are Intrigued
- Marvel Gets Rights To Use Stan Lee’s Likeness In Future Projects & Merchandise
- Black Show Promoters Accuse Syracuse Police Of Harassment
Michael Jordan Donates $2 Million Dollars For Hurricane Florence Relief was originally published on praisebaltimore.com