Looks like Ava DuVernay continues to keep winning!
Not only did her “A Wrinkle In Time” debut at number two at the box office on opening weekend, but she has been recently tapped to direct her next huge film, DC Comics’ upcoming, “The New Gods.”
Deadline reported that Ava “is closing a deal with Warner Bros and DC to direct a big-budget screen adaptation of The New Gods, the creation of revered comic book impresario Jack Kirby.” The studio will quickly set a screenwriter who will closely with Ava to hammer out the narrative.
This will be Ava’s second $100 million-plus film, with “A Wrinkle In Time” being her first, making her the first African-American woman to direct a film with a budget that large. In more history-making news, The New Gods would be the second DC superhero franchise directed by a woman, following Patty Jenkins with Wonder Woman.
Last December, Ava admitted that one of the superheroes from the New Gods world was one of her favorites of all-time.
Clearly, folks on Twitter were elated to hear her good news:
Not much is known about when the film is slated to hit theaters or how the film’s story will shake out, but Nerdist noted that the comics, which were created in the 1970s, revolve around the god-like inhabitants of twin planets: the paradise known as New Genesis and the dead world called Apokolips.
We can’t wait! Congrats Ava!
- Sweet Nothings: Man Stabbed McDonald’s Customer After Argument Sparked Over Too Much Sugar In Coffee
- Eddie Murphy Secured The Bag In Three Picture, First-Look Film Deal With Amazon Studios
- Gary’s Tea: Brat Loves Judy! Da Brat Announces Her Official Wedding Date With Jesseca ‘Judy’ Dupart [WATCH]
- EXCLUSIVE: This Is What Rev Al Sharpton Found Out About The Haiti Migrants At The Texas Border
- The Hot Girl Coach Is Here: Megan Thee Stallion & Her Knees Star In Nike’s Latest “Play New” Campaign
- Biden Administration Seeks Contract For Guantánamo Bay Migrant Detention Facility, Says Haitians At Texas Border Won’t Be Sent There
- Jeannie Mai’s Ex-Husband Calls Her ‘Trash’ Amid News Of Her Baby Announcement
- A Trial Date For Nipsey Hussle’s Alleged Murderer Has Finally Been Set
- Birdman Explains Why He Used To Kiss Lil Wayne On The Lips [Video]
- In His Dreams: R. Kelly’s Trial Defense Compares Him To MLK During Closing Arguments
15 Times Ava DuVernay Proved She's A Budding Fashion Icon
1. 2015 OscarsSource:Getty Images 1 of 15
2. Essence Women in Hollywood LuncheonSource:Getty Images 2 of 15
3. Selma Berlin PremiereSource:Getty Images 3 of 15
4. Selma Screening at the AFI FestSource:Getty Images 4 of 15
5. 46th NAACP Image AwardsSource:Getty Images 5 of 15
6. Palm Springs Film Festival Awards GalaSource:Getty Images 6 of 15
7. Palm Springs Festival Opening GalaSource:Getty Images 7 of 15
8. The Contenders Deadline EventSource:Getty Images 8 of 15
9. Film Independent Spirit AwardsSource:Getty Images 9 of 15
10. ICG Publicists AwardsSource:Getty Images 10 of 15
11. Selma European PremiereSource:Getty Images 11 of 15
12. Selma Berlin PhotocallSource:Getty Images 12 of 15
13. Selma New York PremiereSource:Getty Images 13 of 15
14. Ebony Magazine 2014 Power 100 List CelebrationSource:Getty Images 14 of 15
15. "Selma" And The Legends Who Paved The Way GalaSource:Getty Images 15 of 15
Ava DuVernay Tapped To Direct DC Comics Movie “The New Gods” was originally published on hellobeautiful.com