Looks like Ava DuVernay continues to keep winning!
Not only did her “A Wrinkle In Time” debut at number two at the box office on opening weekend, but she has been recently tapped to direct her next huge film, DC Comics’ upcoming, “The New Gods.”
Deadline reported that Ava “is closing a deal with Warner Bros and DC to direct a big-budget screen adaptation of The New Gods, the creation of revered comic book impresario Jack Kirby.” The studio will quickly set a screenwriter who will closely with Ava to hammer out the narrative.
This will be Ava’s second $100 million-plus film, with “A Wrinkle In Time” being her first, making her the first African-American woman to direct a film with a budget that large. In more history-making news, The New Gods would be the second DC superhero franchise directed by a woman, following Patty Jenkins with Wonder Woman.
Last December, Ava admitted that one of the superheroes from the New Gods world was one of her favorites of all-time.
Clearly, folks on Twitter were elated to hear her good news:
Not much is known about when the film is slated to hit theaters or how the film’s story will shake out, but Nerdist noted that the comics, which were created in the 1970s, revolve around the god-like inhabitants of twin planets: the paradise known as New Genesis and the dead world called Apokolips.
We can’t wait! Congrats Ava!
- Rickey Smiley Reveals Details Of “Standing Ovation” For His Late Son, Brandon
- The Hot Spot: How Will Ticketmaster Handle Demand Overload For Beyoncé Tickets [WATCH]
- Beyond Just Finances: More Ways You Can Support Black-Owned Businesses [WATCH]
- What Is Your Limit? Beyoncé Fans Willing To Risk It All Financially After Tour Announcement [WATCH]
- Savannah James Is Absolutely Serving In Latest Photos
- Omega Psi Phi Revokes Membership Of Three Officers Involved In Tyre Nichols’ Death
- Lizzo Reveals Her First Wax Figure Before It Arrives At Madame Tussauds
- Understanding The Impact Black History Has Made Globally [WATCH]
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Falsely Claims CRT Teaches Racism And 1 Illinois School Got $5.1B To Spend On Diversity
- AOC Rips GOP’s ‘Racism’ After Ilhan Omar Removed From Committee By House Republicans ‘Targeting Women Of Color’
Ava DuVernay Tapped To Direct DC Comics Movie “The New Gods” was originally published on hellobeautiful.com