AUBURN, Maine (AP) — A server at a Maine IHOP restaurant asked a group of black teenagers to pay upfront for their meal, prompting the manager to issue a public apology.
Manager Melvin Escobar told the Sun Journal newspaper that “this is the first time it happened, and that will be the last time.”
What happened on Sunday at the Auburn IHOP came to the attention of Escobar after a young man from Monmouth posted about it on Facebook.
Escobar said he believed the server’s actions were not racially motivated but she was worried the kids would duck out on the $100 bill. The restaurant recently had some problems with teenagers walking out without paying, he said.
“IHOP and our franchisees strive to create a warm and hospitable dining experience for all guests, and this isolated incident is not reflective of that commitment nor tolerated,” the company said in a statement Monday night.
“The franchisee of this location is in the process of reaching out directly to the affected guests to apologize for an individual team member’s misguided actions as well as using this as an opportunity to underscore the values we uphold as a brand with his entire team.”
IHOP restaurants are franchised and run by International House of Pancakes LLC, a subsidiary of DineEquity Inc.
- Gary’s Tea: Lala Opens Up About Co-Parenting With Carmelo Anthony [WATCH]
- Black Tony Finally Explains Why He Never Comes To Work! [VIDEO]
- Oprah Erects 26 Billboards Around Louisville Calling For Justice For Breonna Taylor
- Op Alert: Republicans Fear Kanye West Presidential Run Could Backfire On Donald Trump
- LeBron James Has The Perfect Response To Donald Trump Not Watching NBA Restart Games
- Music Producer Detail Arrested on Multiple Sexual Assault Charges
- Nia DaCosta: Everything To Know About First Black Woman Directing Marvel Movie
- Keke Palmer Announces She Will Host The 2020 VMA’s And New Show On Disney Plus
- LaLa Dishes On Her Career Transformation And Motherhood In September Issue Of Essence
- Front Page News: Black Children Are 3 Times Likely To Be Exposed To COVID-19 [VIDEO]
IHOP Server Tells Black Patrons To Pay Before Eating was originally published on blackamericaweb.com