AUBURN, Maine (AP) — A server at a Maine IHOP restaurant asked a group of black teenagers to pay upfront for their meal, prompting the manager to issue a public apology.
Manager Melvin Escobar told the Sun Journal newspaper that “this is the first time it happened, and that will be the last time.”
What happened on Sunday at the Auburn IHOP came to the attention of Escobar after a young man from Monmouth posted about it on Facebook.
Escobar said he believed the server’s actions were not racially motivated but she was worried the kids would duck out on the $100 bill. The restaurant recently had some problems with teenagers walking out without paying, he said.
“IHOP and our franchisees strive to create a warm and hospitable dining experience for all guests, and this isolated incident is not reflective of that commitment nor tolerated,” the company said in a statement Monday night.
“The franchisee of this location is in the process of reaching out directly to the affected guests to apologize for an individual team member’s misguided actions as well as using this as an opportunity to underscore the values we uphold as a brand with his entire team.”
IHOP restaurants are franchised and run by International House of Pancakes LLC, a subsidiary of DineEquity Inc.
- Harrowing Photos Of Border Patrol With Whips On Horseback Hunting Haitian Migrants Evoke Images Of Slavery
- The Way Gabby Petito’s Fiancé Brian Laundrie Has Evaded Arrest Epitomizes White Privilege
- Toni Braxton Launches Body Care Brand “Nude Sugar” For Women of Color
- Sha’Carri Richardson Responds to Usain Bolt Telling Her To “Be Focused and Not Say Too Much”
- Kerry Washington Honors Michael K. Williams At 2021 Emmy Awards
- After Pfizer’s News Of Promising Vaccine Results, Concerns Linger About Vaccine Equity for Under 12 Year Olds
- EXCLUSIVE: Nia Long On Passing Of Anthony ‘A.J.’ Johnson: ‘A.J. Was A Joy To Work With On Set’
- Is The NBA Working With Feds? Carmelo Anthony Seems To Think So
- Wack 100 Claims To Have Part 2 of Kim Kardashian & Ray J’s Legendary Sex Tape
- Niecy Nash’s Hollywood Glam Look Is What The Emmys Red Carpet Needed
IHOP Server Tells Black Patrons To Pay Before Eating was originally published on blackamericaweb.com