Sterling K. Brown returned to Wakanda in his Saturday Night Live debut on Saturday to show Black Panther fans a scene that were edited from the blockbuster. His performance on SNL is another milestone in 2018 for one of our favorite Black actors.
Brown portrays T’Challa’s great-great-grandfather on the ancestral plane where SNL’s Chris Redd (who plays T’Challa in the skit) has gone for inspiration and wisdom from the spirits of his deceased elders. Among the distinguished members of his royal bloodline, T’Challa encounters his weird uncle by marriage, played by Kenan Thompson, who is barbecuing lion burgers on a backyard grill.
Brown manages—barely—to keep a straight face when Thompson’s character feeds him frozen lion burgers. But he kept his composure and delivered a solid performance.
For Brown, 2018 has been an amazing year—full of well-earned recognition for his work. He made history at the Golden Globes in January as the first African-American man to win in the category of best actor in a TV drama for his role in This Is Us.
He thanked the show’s creator for writing a role specifically for a Black man, which could only be portrayed by an African American. “And so, what I appreciate so much about this thing is that I am being seen for who I am and being appreciated for who I am,” Brown said in his acceptance speech. “And that makes it that much more difficult to dismiss me or dismiss anybody who looks like me.”
The accolades didn’t stop there. He followed that win with another trophy at the 2018 SAG Awards for outstanding performance by a male actor in a drama series, for This is Us. Weeks later, he appeared in the blockbuster Black Panther, which crossed the $1 billion global box office mark just three weeks after opening.
- H.E.R. Shares Her Biggest Influences, Winning An Oscar, & Upcoming Acting Opportunities [WATCH]
- Philonise Floyd Shares What We Will Learn About George Floyd On TV One’s Sins Of The City [WATCH]
- Tiffany Haddish’s Short Buzz Cut Maybe Coming To Daytime Television
- Phylicia Rashad Named Dean Of Fine Arts At Howard University
- Heartbreaking: Tank Reveals He’s Going ‘Completely’ Deaf In His Right Ear & Losing Hearing In His Left
- Ellen DeGeneres To End Her Talk Show In 2022
- Olympic Runner Caster Semenya Ironically Arrested For Speeding
- Virginia Prosecutor Calls For Investigation After Cops Drag Black Woman From Her Vehicle
- The Undressing Room Podcast Presented By Macy’s Ep15: “Girl Code”
- Hot Spot: Ciara & Russell Wilson Ink A Deal With Amazon & Andra Day Talks Overcoming Porn Addiction
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 8
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 8
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 8
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 8
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 8
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 8
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 8
8.8 of 8
Sterling K. Brown Killed It In “Black Panther” Parody On His “SNL” [VIDEO] was originally published on newsone.com