Michael Smith has been vocal about how he didn’t like the way ESPN treated Jemele Hill after she called Trump a white supremacist—and about how the network ruined their show SportsCenter.
On the podcast Origins, he revealed after Hill’s comments about Trump, ESPN didn’t allow them to engage on camera, saying, “No more Michael and Jemele talking. No more of their commentary. It’s just strictly live shots and analysts. That’s what pissed me off so much.” The host explained, “I’m like, so wait a second, you all acknowledge that one of the strengths that we have going for us as a show is Michael and Jemele’s chemistry, but Michael and Jemele don’t f**king talk to each other? How does that make sense?” Michael said it was ESPN’s intention to silence them both.
Now, according to Sports Illustrated, Michael Smith’s last day at SportsCenter will be today. However, the site also reports, “Both Hill and Smith have multiple years left on their ESPN contracts, so look for Smith to craft a new role at ESPN over the next couple of months.”
Jemele Hill and Michael Smith made history being the first all-Black anchor team on SportsCenter. After Hill’s comments about Trump, ESPN suspended her for two weeks, prompting civil rights activists and celebrities to rally for her. Reportedly, ESPN now wants to SportsCenter to go a more “traditional” route.
- Wendy Williams Hospitalized For Psychiatric Evaluation While Also Battling COVID
- T.I. & Tiny Avoid Sexual Assault Charges Due To Statute Of Limitations
- Hot Spot: Should Lil Mo Forgive Fat Joe For Calling Her A Dusty B**ch Who Lives In A Crackhouse?
- Gary’s Tea: Gabrielle Union Finally Opens Up About Dwyane Wade’s “Break Baby” [WATCH]
- New York State To Ban All Gasoline Operated Cars By 2035
- Kyrie Irving’s Cryptic Tweet About Taking Masks Off Has Twitter Confused
- ‘The Proud Family’ Revival To Star Lizzo, A Boogie, Lil Nas X And More
- Actor Jeremy Pope Dedicated His Met Gala Outfit To Slave Attire In The Cotton Fields
- Nas Graces ‘Ebony’ Magazine October 2021
- The Undressing Room Presented By Macy’s” Episode 33 ‘Dating “Regular” Guys’
Michael Smith Reportedly Leaving ESPN’s “SportsCenter” was originally published on newsone.com