From Oscar-winning actress to children’s book author, it looks like Lupita Nyong’o is expanding her resume in 2018!
The Black Panther star recently announced that she is creating a series of books that will address colorism and discrimination. Even better? The story is centered on a dark skinned named Sulwe, which means “star” in Nyong’o’s native language, Luo.
According to the New York Times, “Sulwe” is the story of a 5-year-old Kenyan girl who has the darkest skin color in her family, which makes her uncomfortable and determined to find a way to lighten her skin. As the story goes on, Sulwe goes on a journey to find self-love and accept her beautiful skin.
Lupita can relate to inner struggle and society’s obsession with lighter skin.
In her powerful 2014 Black Women in Hollywood speech, Nyong’o spoke about a young girl who wanted to lighten her skin said she was inspired by Nyong’o’s self-acceptance.
The actress said, “I hope that my presence on your screens and in magazines may lead you, young girl, on a similar journey. That you will feel validation of your external beauty, but also, get to the deeper business of being beautiful inside.”
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers will drop the book, which is aimed for readers between the ages of 5 and 7, in January 2019.
Congrats Lupita! This is exactly the kind of story our young girls need!
- GRAPHIC: Tyre Nichols “Inhumane” Body Cam Footage Released
- Virginia Library Pays Nikole Hannah-Jones More Than $35K For ‘The 1619 Project’ Speech, And Some Are Unhappy
- Michole Briana White: Where You Know The Actress Who Plays Lucille Flenory On ‘BMF’ From
- Anika Kai Shows Us How To Upgrade Our French Manicure In Her Latest Tutorial
- Ben Crump Compares Tyre Nichols’ Footage To Rodney King: ‘Those Officers Did Not Extend Any Humanity’ [WATCH]
- Reginae Carter Oozes Style Goals On The Gram Yet Again
- Here’s Why Gas Prices Are Continuing To Rise In Maryland
- Members Of A Dangerous Alaskan White Supremacist Gang Get Sentenced To Life In Prison
- Ma$e Honored With Proclamation And His Own Day In Harlem
- Lauren London Wears A Cute Little Black Dress To ‘The Night Show’
Lupita Nyong’o To Write Children’s Book Set To Inspire And Uplift Dark-Skinned Black Girls was originally published on hellobeautiful.com