One week ago, Hurricane Irma, a monstrous category 5 storm, ravished tiny Caribbean islands—leaving scores of people homeless, as they struggle to survive without essentials like food and drinkable water. Aid is finally trickling in from European governments that control the territories.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
However, as The Huffington Post reported, the U.K. government received “withering criticism that it has been too slow to help British overseas territories.”
Even though they acted with a bit more urgency than the British did, France and the Netherlands have also come under criticism for dragging their feet in response to the devastation, The New York Daily News noted.
Yet, much of the latest news and images from the devastated islands focus on how some residents (Black people) are looting stores for their own gain—with little mention that many people grabbing only food and water to survive until supplies reached the islands from slow moving European governments.
According to The Daily Mail, “escaped prisoners and hundreds of looters armed with guns and knives are terrorizing hurricane-hit islands amid anarchy in the Caribbean,” which has prompted the European governments to beef up their police and military forces on their island territories to restore order and protect trapped tourists from the marauders.
Placing the needs of predominantly White tourists ahead of poor Black island residents has caused dormant racial tensions to awake, ABC News reported.
Many complained that the European governments prioritized evacuating, mainly White, tourists from the islands before the Irma struck.
At the same time, leaving behind scores of elderly and other vulnerable Black residents who had no way of protecting themselves from the hurricane’s powerful winds.
ABC said France’s Representative Council of Black Associations on Monday called for a parliamentary inquiry into Paris’ evacuation plans.
“In my eyes, Irma is for the French Antilles what Hurricane Katrina was for Louisiana in the U.S. – an exposer of racial and social inequalities,” the association’s spokesman, Louis-Georges Tin, told The Associated Press, according to ABC.
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 44
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 44
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 44
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 44
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 44
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 44
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 44
8. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 8 of 44
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 44
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 44
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 44
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 44
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 44
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 44
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 44
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 44
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 44
18. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 18 of 44
19. A Family AffairSource:Getty 19 of 44
20. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 20 of 44
21. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 21 of 44
22. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 22 of 44
23. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 23 of 44
24. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 24 of 44
25. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 25 of 44
26. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 26 of 44
27. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 27 of 44
28. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 28 of 44
29. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 29 of 44
30. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 30 of 44
31. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 31 of 44
32. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 32 of 44
33. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 33 of 44
34. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 34 of 44
35. Family SupportSource:Getty 35 of 44
36. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 36 of 44
37. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 37 of 44
38. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 38 of 44
39. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 39 of 44
40. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 40 of 44
41. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 41 of 44
42. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 42 of 44
43. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 43 of 44
44. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 44 of 44