The headlines in the conservative media were gleeful this morning. The story was that former National Security Adviser Susan Rice “unmasked” the names of Trump officials who were caught up in surveillance of foreign targets. And that this somehow proves that Trump’s claims of Obama wiretapping him were true.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
As the Washington Post reports, “Ordinarily, when a U.S. person shows up in such surveillance — say, talking to a Russian ambassador whose communications are being monitored — that person’s identity is blacked out in reports on the surveillance.” The Post also reports that Rice was within the law if she was in fact, the person in the administration who did so.
Except she denies doing anything improper.
“I leaked nothing to nobody,” she told MSNBC on Tuesday afternoon.
“If I saw an intelligence report that looked potentially significant … I can make that request,” Rice added of unveiling names of American citizens in intelligence reports. “That’s necessary for me to do my job.”
ABC News reports that a source in the NSA says that Rice, during the course of her official duties the former national security advisor, may have unmasked officials connected to the Trump transition team and campaign, but insisted that she would have never done so improperly.
“I’m not denying that she routinely requested the unmasking of individuals,” the source close to Rice said, adding that any instance of unmasking would have been necessary to understand the value of the intelligence being presented to her.
As per the Trump and conservative media playbook, when heat is on the Trump administration—i.e., the revelation that Jeff Sessions met with a Russian ambassador and lied to Congress about it; House Intelligence Committee Chair Rep. Devin Nunes, R-California, being asked to recuse himself from investigating the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia—something else miraculously “breaks” against the Obama administration. In the Sessions case, Trump tweets the claim that Obama wire tapped his phones; now, that Susan Rice doing her job somehow vindicates this ridiculous claim.
In both instances, there’s a “blame the black person” theme running through here.
It should also be noted that the first person who broke this “story” was, according to NBC News, Mike Cernovich, who is also known for promoting a false story that a Washington, D.C. pizza parlor was a nest of pedophiles connected to Hillary Clinton. Which obviously was a bald-faced lie.
We are no closer to the truth than we were weeks ago. But Trumpians can act like this somehow vindicates his ridiculous Tweets of Obama “wiretapping” Trump Tower and demonize a black person at the same time.
Win-win for them. Loss for democracy.
55 Photos To Make You Miss The Obamas
1. Barack gives daughter Malia a kissSource:Getty 1 of 46
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 46
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 46
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 46
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 46
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 46
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 46
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 46
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 46
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 46
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 46
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 46
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 46
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 46
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 46
16. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 16 of 46
17. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 17 of 46
18. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 18 of 46
19. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 19 of 46
20. A Family AffairSource:Getty 20 of 46
21. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 21 of 46
22. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 22 of 46
23. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 23 of 46
24. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 24 of 46
25. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 25 of 46
26. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 26 of 46
27. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 27 of 46
28. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 28 of 46
29. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 29 of 46
30. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 30 of 46
31. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 31 of 46
32. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 32 of 46
33. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 33 of 46
34. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 34 of 46
35. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 35 of 46
36. Family SupportSource:Getty 36 of 46
37. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 37 of 46
38. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 38 of 46
39. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 39 of 46
40. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 40 of 46
41. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 41 of 46
42. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 42 of 46
43. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 43 of 46
44. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 44 of 46
45. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 45 of 46
46. Christmas Tree LightingSource:Getty 46 of 46