High school graduations are a major moment because they signify the transition into the semi-adult world. And for Black-ish star, Yara Shahidi the moment was made extra special by the cast and crew of her hit ABC show.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“I’ll be graduating before we come back to shoot season 4 (I’m just speaking that into existence) so my fam+ blackish fam put together a beautiful pre-graduation graduation,” she said on Instagram.
“I’m not a crier but needless to say tears of joy were streaming. To know that everybody on that set is invested in my well-being and future is surreal. They have watched me grow and helped me thrive. Thank you to everyone who orchestrated and celebrated this huge milestone in my life.”
In addition to be a high school graduate, the talented 17-year-old was also honored at the Essence Women in Hollywood gala earlier this month.
No word on what college Yara plans to attend, but with a recommendation letter written by former First Lady Michelle Obama, her future is looking incredibly bright. She plans to double-major in African American studies and sociology, after a year break.
She talked about her future plans to PEOPLE, “I’ve been working more than half of my life and that’s always been balanced with school and all of the other responsibilities, so to have a year to focus on work and to focus on specified interests will be nice before I pick a career and choose what I want to study and my life path.”
Smarty Pants: 21 Black Celebs Who Attended Ivy League Schools
1. Tammi Terrell - University of Pennsylvania1 of 21
2. Alicia Keys - Columbia UniversitySource:Instagram 2 of 21
3. Nikki Giovanni (University of Pennsylvania and Columbia)Source:AP 3 of 21
4. Lupita Nyong'o - Yale's School of Drama (Master's)Source:PR Photos 4 of 21
5. Tracee Ellis Ross - Brown UniversitySource:Instagram 5 of 21
6. Yaya Dacosta - Brown UniversitySource:PR Photos 6 of 21
7. Tatyana Ali - HarvardSource:Instagram 7 of 21
8. Tyra Banks- Harvard University8 of 21
9. John Legend- University of Pennsylvania9 of 21
10. Aisha Tyler- Dartmouth College10 of 21
11. Bob Johnson- Princeton University11 of 21
12. Sanaa Lathan- Yale University12 of 21
13. Hill Harper- Brown University13 of 21
14. Angela Bassett- Yale University14 of 21
15. Ryan Leslie- Harvard University15 of 21
16. Rashida Jones- Harvard University16 of 21
17. Courtney B. Vance- BA from Harvard University; MFA from Yale University17 of 21
18. Joy Bryant- Yale University before dropping out to become a model.18 of 21
19. Brian White: Dartmouth College19 of 21
20. Shonda Rhimes - DartmouthSource:PR Photos 20 of 21
21. Toni Morrison - Cornell University (Master's of Arts)21 of 21