Every once in a while, something will pop up on social media that causes a stir. Two week ago it was an Atlanta teacher who was accused of being scantily clad while teaching and now, it’s newlyweds who are being accused of excessive PDA.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Newlyweds Quell and Felicia recently tied the knot, and the husband shared a photo of them with his hand on her behind. Grabbing a chunk of her booty, he captioned the photo with, “I had this crush on this girl that sat behind me in biology 6 years ago, today I married her.”
The image invoked a lot of discussion. While many tweets were in congratulations of their union, others believed him grabbing her behind was demeaning.
One commenter even concluded that he was grabbing his wife like a “harlot”— harsh words for someone who’s intent was to affirm his love.
“More than a discussion on feminism or the sexualization of Black women, the smile on her face tells it all,” says MadameNoire.com writer Veronica Wells. “There is no part of her expression or her body language that says she was uncomfortable with this, that she didn’t realize he was grabbing her booty. Nothing in her face says that by projecting herself or allowing herself to be projected as a sex object, she was somehow degrading herself or allowing her husband, with one gesture to remove her from the pedestaled position of wife.”
Adding, “So regardless of what anyone else thinks about this, the fact that she was cool with it, should let us know we don’t have to be pressed either.”
At the end of the day: If the wife in the photo doesn’t have a problem with it, maybe we shouldn’t.
The Greatest Celebrity Weddings Of All Time
1. Kim and Kanye WestSource:Instagram 1 of 25
2. A family affairSource:Instagram 2 of 25
3. 💍Source:Instagram 3 of 25
4. Ciara & Russell WilsonSource:Instagram 4 of 25
5. Solange Knowles & Alan FergusonSource:Instagram 5 of 25
6. SuperwomenSource:Instagram 6 of 25
7. The RocSource:Getty 7 of 25
8. La La & Carmelo AnthonySource:Getty 8 of 25
9. Chrissy Teigen & John LegendSource:Instagram 9 of 25
10. The dressSource:Instagram 10 of 25
11. Ludacris & Eudoxie BridgesSource:Instagram 11 of 25
12. Gisele Bundchen & Tom BradySource:Instagram 12 of 25
13. Prince William & Kate MiddletonSource:Getty 13 of 25
14. The dressSource:Getty 14 of 25
15. Prince Charles & Diana SpencerSource:Getty 15 of 25
16. The dressSource:Getty 16 of 25
17. Angelina Jolie & Brad PittSource:Instagram 17 of 25
18. Family affairSource:Instagram 18 of 25
19. Sofia Vergara and Joe ManganielloSource:Instagram 19 of 25
20. The settingSource:Instagram 20 of 25
21. Bobby Brown & Whitney HoustonSource:Instagram 21 of 25
22. Portia de Rossi and Ellen DeGeneresSource:Instagram 22 of 25
23. Katie Holmes & Tom CruiseSource:Getty 23 of 25
24. Suri CruiseSource:Getty 24 of 25
25. Victoria & David BeckhamSource:Instagram 25 of 25