Every once in a while, something will pop up on social media that causes a stir. Two week ago it was an Atlanta teacher who was accused of being scantily clad while teaching and now, it’s newlyweds who are being accused of excessive PDA.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Newlyweds Quell and Felicia recently tied the knot, and the husband shared a photo of them with his hand on her behind. Grabbing a chunk of her booty, he captioned the photo with, “I had this crush on this girl that sat behind me in biology 6 years ago, today I married her.”
The image invoked a lot of discussion. While many tweets were in congratulations of their union, others believed him grabbing her behind was demeaning.
One commenter even concluded that he was grabbing his wife like a “harlot”— harsh words for someone who’s intent was to affirm his love.
“More than a discussion on feminism or the sexualization of Black women, the smile on her face tells it all,” says MadameNoire.com writer Veronica Wells. “There is no part of her expression or her body language that says she was uncomfortable with this, that she didn’t realize he was grabbing her booty. Nothing in her face says that by projecting herself or allowing herself to be projected as a sex object, she was somehow degrading herself or allowing her husband, with one gesture to remove her from the pedestaled position of wife.”
Adding, “So regardless of what anyone else thinks about this, the fact that she was cool with it, should let us know we don’t have to be pressed either.”
At the end of the day: If the wife in the photo doesn’t have a problem with it, maybe we shouldn’t.
The Greatest Celebrity Weddings Of All Time
1. Kim and Kanye WestSource:Instagram 1 of 27
2. A family affairSource:Instagram 2 of 27
3. 💍Source:Instagram 3 of 27
4. Ciara & Russell WilsonSource:Instagram 4 of 27
5. Solange Knowles & Alan FergusonSource:Instagram 5 of 27
6. SuperwomenSource:Instagram 6 of 27
7. The RocSource:Getty 7 of 27
8. La La & Carmelo AnthonySource:Getty 8 of 27
9. Chrissy Teigen & John LegendSource:Instagram 9 of 27
10. Who gives this bride away?Source:Instagram 10 of 27
11. The dressSource:Instagram 11 of 27
12. Ludacris & Eudoxie BridgesSource:Instagram 12 of 27
13. SoulmatesSource:Instagram 13 of 27
14. Gisele Bundchen & Tom BradySource:Instagram 14 of 27
15. Prince William & Kate MiddletonSource:Getty 15 of 27
16. The dressSource:Getty 16 of 27
17. Prince Charles & Diana SpencerSource:Getty 17 of 27
18. The dressSource:Getty 18 of 27
19. Angelina Jolie & Brad PittSource:Instagram 19 of 27
20. Family affairSource:Instagram 20 of 27
21. Sofia Vergara and Joe ManganielloSource:Instagram 21 of 27
22. The settingSource:Instagram 22 of 27
23. Bobby Brown & Whitney HoustonSource:Instagram 23 of 27
24. Portia de Rossi and Ellen DeGeneresSource:Instagram 24 of 27
25. Katie Holmes & Tom CruiseSource:Getty 25 of 27
26. Suri CruiseSource:Getty 26 of 27
27. Victoria & David BeckhamSource:Instagram 27 of 27