Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and the Democratic National Committee aren’t the only ones getting hacked, but this one is way too close home for our liking.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
First Lady Michelle Obama’s passport was leaked online as a result of a hacker breaking into a White House contractor Ian Mellul’s personal gmail, an account we note that never should contain this type of highly sensitive information. According to NBC News, other leaked material included:
Detailed lists of names of Secret Service and White House Military Office staffers who were to travel and manage specific site security for the President and First Lady’s trip to Havana, Cuba in March.
The detailed schedules and movements of the First Lady on a trip in the U.S.
Names, social security numbers, and dates of birth of some White House staff.
The detailed schedules and movements of trips for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and former president Bill Clinton.
A senior U.S. intelligence official called the hack “the most damaging compromise of the security of the President of the United States that I’ve seen in decades, all caused by a careless staffer who compromised information outside government systems merely for convenience,” NBC News noted.
While DC Leaks—the same folks responsible for Powell’s leaked emails—are to blame for illegally accessing FLOTUS’ information, it’s been rumored that they are just a front for Russian hackers. In the meantime, the White House has yet to comment on the issue and confirm if the photo of FLOTUS’ passport is actually authentic, but spokesman Josh Earnest said the administration was taking the matter seriously, Reuters noted.
Even U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch has weighed in, saying in a recent news conference, “We’re aware of those media reports, and it is something we’re looking into.”
Leaks like these are becoming more of the norm as we’ve seen in the past few weeks hackers target U.S. politicians, both current and former. But what we do know, is that no one better ever put the first lady in danger, ever again. Period.
Michelle Obama Dazzles In Blue At The Kennedy Center Honors
1. Take a look at the stars who attended the Kennedy Center Honors, recognizing George Lucas, Cicely Tyson & others for their achievements.1 of 13
2. President Barack Obama & First Lady Michelle Obama2 of 13
3. Honoree George Lucas and his wife Mellody Hobson3 of 13
4. Actress and Broadway star Cicely Tyson (L), Conductor Seiji Ozawa (2nd-L), actress and singer Rita Moreno (C), filmmaker George Lucasa (2nd-R), and singer-songwriter Carole King (R)4 of 13
5. Tyler Perry5 of 13
6. Actress Kerry Washington6 of 13
7. Gayle King7 of 13
8. Debbie Allen8 of 13
9. Singer Usher9 of 13
10. Singer Janelle Monae10 of 13
11. Aretha Franklin and Clive Davis11 of 13
12. Viola Davis with her husband Julius Tennon12 of 13
13. Alvin Love and Gospel singer CeCe Winans13 of 13