It’s hard to believe that it’s only been a few months since Michael Strahan’s controversial exit from Live! because so much drama has happened since then. There was Kelly Ripa’s initial reaction, which included her taking some days off from her hosting gig and being livid over being blindsided, Strahan quickly accepting a new job with Good Morning America and the quest for a new permanent host that has yet to be filled. Throw in some interviews from both former co-workers and it’s been a pretty rocky summer.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Michael Strahan is the latest cover story for People magazine and in it he gives all the details about leaving his position at Live!, loving his new position at Good Morning America and where his relationship with Kelly Ripa stands today. E! Online has all the specifics of the in-depth interview.
Via E! Online:
[On Kelly Ripa]: [After the noticeable onscreen tension once he announced his exit] Strahan left Live! early at executives’ request. “I wasn’t surprised by her reaction at all, but I can’t control somebody else’s actions,” Strahan confesses. “I was there four years, and it’s about more than just being in front of the camera.”
Regarding the fallout from his exit, the former NFL player confesses, “The most disappointing thing to me was that I was painted as the bad guy, because I value the way I carry myself. I don’t want people to see me as ‘Oh, he just ran out, just left them there.’ That’s just not true.”
Even now, Strahan isn’t sure what to make of his relationship with Ripa. “At one point I think we were friends. I don’t know what happened at the end,” he says. “I learned a lot from her, though.” Toward the end, he says, they “didn’t really communicate” as much as they once had. “I kinda looked at it like, ‘It was what it was,’” he explains. “I come from a business where you have to collaborate. The show was going well? We’re all winning. That’s all that matters to me.”
To read the full cover on Michael Strahan, you can pick up the latest issue of People magazine on newsstands Friday. Surely both Strahan and Ripa will be fine in their current roles, now that their friendship is over they can hopefully move on.
20 Famous Black Talk Show Hosts
1. Tyra BanksSource:Getty 1 of 20
2. Queen LatifahSource:Getty 2 of 20
3. Michael StrahanSource:Getty 3 of 20
4. Oprah WinfreySource:Getty 4 of 20
5. Wendy WilliamsSource:Getty 5 of 20
6. RuPaulSource:Getty 6 of 20
7. Sherri ShepherdSource:Getty 7 of 20
8. Steve HarveySource:Getty 8 of 20
9. Star JonesSource:Getty 9 of 20
10. Whoopi GoldbergSource:Getty 10 of 20
11. Wanda SykesSource:Getty 11 of 20
12. Ananda LewisSource:Getty 12 of 20
13. Mo'NiqueSource:Getty 13 of 20
14. Arsenio HallSource:Getty 14 of 20
15. Tavis SmileySource:Getty 15 of 20
16. Montel WilliamsSource:Getty 16 of 20
17. Chris RockSource:Getty 17 of 20
18. Wayne BradySource:Getty 18 of 20
19. Bevy SmithSource:Getty 19 of 20
20. Sheryl UnderwoodSource:Getty 20 of 20
Check out more Michael Strahan here: