Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
It was one of those reality-TV moments that sparked headlines for days after its premiere and made us question gender roles. It wasn’t until a season later, Jim decided he was ready to grow old with Chrissy and flipped the script when he surprised his lady by asking her to marry him.
Fans tuned in to Chrissy & Mr. Jones, the spin-off series that detailed their life post-engagement, to see a dream wedding that never happened.
Fast-forward four years and the hip-hop couple are making their return to reality TV with plans on finally walking down the aisle.
HelloBeautiful caught up with Chrissy and Jim, who gave us the scoop on their new show Vow or Never.
HB: Jim, it seems like it was your idea to put the wedding out there, what made you decide to go back to reality TV?
Jim Jones: Reality TV was a great lane for us, it opened a lot of doors. We did pretty good at it. We were just waiting for another opportunity. We were in a situation we didn’t really appreciate. We couldn’t continue to work under those circumstances, and by God’s graces, WE tv understood our brand and gave us the opportunity to do it all over again.
HB: Chrissy, it’s different for a woman to propose to a man. Everyone had an opinion on it, how did you deal with it?
Chrissy Lampkin: Exactly, and that’s why I didn’t deal with it. There’s no right answer. You can’t please people. I just did what I wanted to do and let the cards fall where they did. It didn’t matter to me as long as we had an understanding.
HB: Everyone’s relationship is different and different things work for different people. How do you guys deal with that as a couple, people always having things to say?
Chrissy: I’m used to people always having something to say, so it didn’t affect me. I can’t say it never affected me, but it doesn’t affect me to the point it makes me unhappy or changes my mood. Some of it is comical and some of it is really mean-spirited, but you have to take it all with a grain of salt.
HB: So what can we expect from Vow Or Never this season?
Jim: A lot of ups and downs. It’s a real-life relationship. If you’ve been in a relationship, you understand everyday is not going to be a good day and that’s what makes a relationship worth it.
HB: How do you guys keep it spicy and together?
Chrissy: We just get each other. I can say sometimes, I’m in love and he’s not and then sometimes he’s in love and I’m not. Relationships change and evolve, but we always get back to it. I think, remain friends. We still make each other laugh. We still genuinely like to hang out with each other, so that is important.
HB: How does your dynamic with Jim’s mom, Nancy, affect the relationship?
Chrissy: It doesn’t as much as it used to. I’ve learned to love and accept Nancy for who she is. And she’s only like that because she is crazy about him. That’s really what the underlying madness is about. I deal with it.
Chrissy also spilled the details on her wedding dress during our chat on The Buzz Live. You’ll never guess what color she’ll be wearing on her big day and how Jim wants their reception to go. Watch it below:
Jim & Chrissy: Vow or Never premieres on WE tv Thursday, Sept. 1 at 10 p.m. ET/PT
2016: The Year of Celeb Births, Pregnancies, Engagements, & Weddings
1. Tika SumpterSource:AP 1 of 22
2. Tiny and TI gave birth to their seventh child, Heiress.Source:Instagram 2 of 22
3. Ray J and Princess Love got married in AugustSource:Instagram 3 of 22
4. Israel Houghton and Adrienne Bailon got engaged in AugustSource:Instagram 4 of 22
5. Kevin and Eniko got married in August.Source:Instagram 5 of 22
6. Donnie McClurkin and Nicole C. Mullen got engaged in AugustSource:Twitter 6 of 22
7. Marsha AmbrosiusSource:Instagram 7 of 22
8. Kerry WashingtonSource:PR 8 of 22
9. Angela SimmonsSource:Instagram 9 of 22
10. Jurnee Smollett BellSource:PR 10 of 22
11. Coco and Ice TSource:Instagram 11 of 22
12. Tatyana AliSource:Facebook 12 of 22
13. Draya and Orlando ScandrickSource:Instagram 13 of 22
14. Blac Chyna and Rob KardashianSource:Instagram 14 of 22
15. Kandi BurrussSource:Instagram 15 of 22
16. Ciara and Russell WilsonSource:Instagram 16 of 22
17. Adrienne and Chris BoshSource:Instagram 17 of 22
18. Teyana Taylor and Iman ShumpertSource:PR Photos 18 of 22
19. Grace Gealey and Trai ByersSource:Instagram 19 of 22
20. Tyra BanksSource:Instagram 20 of 22
21. Chrissy TeigenSource:PR 21 of 22
22. Melanie FionaSource:Instagram 22 of 22
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO CREDIT: YouTube