Divorce inevitably becomes messy when a lot of money is involved. And unfortunately, Afeni Shakur, is seeing this first hand.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The former Black Panther Party member and mother to late rapper Tupac Shakur, filed for divorce from her estranged husband, Gust Davis in a North Carolina court. The pair had no pre-nup, were married for 12 years, and have been living apart for a year.
Afeni was born in Lumberton, NC but moved to New York City at the age of ten. She went on to join the movement as a teenager and become a notable social activist— most famous for defending herself in the 1971 Panther 21 trial.
According to TMZ, what’s tricky about the divorce is North Carolina’s laws regarding settlement.
TMZ notes that Afeni filed in North Carolina, where judges are not required to divide property 50/50, but rather on a case-by-case basis to determine what’s fair. The couple has property and Davis wants, in addition to living on their 50 acre North Carolina ranch and their houseboats. Davis, who’s a minister, also wants to keep his Jaguar luxury car.
What’s interesting is that Tupac’s estate, which is owned by Afeni, takes in around $900k a year but after expenses she receives around $20k a month. Davis, who never met her multitalented son, wants $10k a month of this money for the rest of his life.
If this all has you feeling some type of way, it should.
It’s one thing when employed men ask for spousal support.. and it’s another (layer of wackness) when the support comes from a deceased child they had no relation to. But sadly, this is what happens when a prenuptial agreement isn’t made.
Afeni has filed legal documents asking the judge to shut down Davis’ greedy alimony request.
Hopefully the outcome will lean in the right person’s favor.
We Tried To Make It Work: Divorced Celebs
1. Mike EppsSource:PR Photos 1 of 15
2. Dwayne WadeSource:PR 2 of 15
3. Usher and Tameka Raymond were once married…but as we know, it didn’t work out.3 of 15
4. Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey4 of 15
5. Mashonda Tifrere was once married to Swizz Beatz.5 of 15
6. Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose6 of 15
7. Kimora and Russell Simmons7 of 15
8. Janet Jackson has been divorced…twice.Source:AP) 8 of 15
9. ‘All My Children’ star and current guest star on ‘Power’ Debbi Morgan has been married…and divorced four times.9 of 15
10. Eric Benet was married to and divorced from Halle Berry. Now they are both married to other people.10 of 15
11. Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz were once husband and wife.11 of 15
12. And we thought it would last – Evelyn Lozada and Ocho Cinco.12 of 15
13. Yup, Shaunie really was a basketball wife, she was married to Shaquille O’Neal.13 of 15
14. Allen and Tawanna Iverson are legally divorced, but have apparently reconciled, although they haven’t remarried.14 of 15
15. Not quite divorced yet, but the papers have been filed and it’s been finalized…but will Khloe and Lamar go through with it?15 of 15