According to Jezebel, fans of the rapper Fetty Wap have created an online petition on Change.Org to have the New Jersey-native perform at the upcoming funeral of Former First Lady Nancy Reagan, who died on Sunday at the age of 94.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
So why Mr. Wap and not the likes of crooners such as Sam Smith or Adele? According to the petition’s authors, the answer’s pretty simple: Mrs. Reagan “holds the important legacy as being the most famous Trap Queen in American history.”
They go on to say that “Ronald Reagan, was linking up with Papi to flood the streets with narcotics, Nancy was on TV telling kids to ‘Say No To Drugs.’ Her infamous ‘anti-drug’ phrase encouraged strict laws on drug possession that led to a school-to-prison pipeline we’re still dealing with now.”
They add, “Blacks and Latinos went to jail in droves for possessing drugs her husband gave them. It was an incredible sleight of hand that would make any wannabe Trap Queen hide in shame for her inability to be as diabolical as Nancy.”
No shade, but the petition does have a point about the Reagan’s problematic legacy and how it has negatively impacted Americans. As HELLO BEAUTIFUL recently wrote, “Just look at the impact ‘Reaganomics,’ the racially biased ‘War on Drugs,’ government silence around the early days of the AIDS crisis and the introduction of the “welfare queen” stereotype has had on contemporary society.
Not to mention this little tidbit from a by Tony Newman, from the Drug Policy Alliance, about the racial implications of these drug laws. For the Huffington Post he said:
“The Reagans’ “war at home” was not only ineffective, it was disastrous. Upon taking office in 1981, Reagan shifted drug control resources from health agencies to the Department of Justice. It was under Reagan’s guidance in 1986 that the worst of the federal mandatory minimum drug laws were passed into law. These laws included the crack sentencing guidelines that meant that someone possessing just 5 grams (two sugar packets) worth of crack received an automatic 5 years in prison. These laws filled our prisons for decades with low-level drug users.”
And that is real.
Understandably, the petition’s message isn’t falling on deaf ears. Since it’s debut on Monday, it’s received more than 3,450 of the 5,000 votes it needs–and the response to it has been quite hilarious:
The petition concludes, “To commemorate her contribution to the Trap, we’d love to have Fetty Wap perform ‘Trap Queen’ at Nancy’s funeral. To usher her to a better place…where she’s probably cooking pies with her baby.”
17 Photos Of Fetty Wap Living The Good Life
1. Receiving the key to his hometown of Patterson, NJ.Source:Instagram 1 of 15
2. Hanging with Coke Boy (and Khloe Kardashian ex) French Montana. Could Fetty date a member of the klan next?Source:Instagram 2 of 15
3. 10 bands, 50 bands, 100 bands.Source:Instagram 3 of 15
4. Trying out his brand new Yeezys.Source:Instagram 4 of 15
5. Bling, Bling all day.Source:Instagram 5 of 15
6. Chilling with Kid Ink in the club.Source:Instagram 6 of 15
7. “In love with the money, I ain’t never letting go.”Source:Instagram 7 of 15
8. Boss Meetings.Source:Instagram 8 of 15
9. On top of that cherry red Ferrari.Source:Instagram 9 of 15
10. Sky Walking.Source:Instagram 10 of 15
11. “Ever got advice from Ye? Ever got a phone call from Drake? Ever been on stage with Good Music … Imma beginner in this shit … Fuck are youuu doin 💯”Source:Instagram 11 of 15
12. Wap, Ty Dolla $ign, Kid Ink.Source:Instagram 12 of 15
13. Proud Dad.Source:Instagram 13 of 15
14. “Dreamin’ ’bout the money … & ya still on my hair lol 💯”Source:Instagram 14 of 15
15. Fetty and Wiz bro out.Source:Instagram 15 of 15