Jamal Gaines was a local inspiration in Rahway, New Jersey for launching his own sneaker store boutique at 21-years-old.
So who would take his life?
A mourning family is looking for clues as to why their son was fatally shot on Friday in front of his store.
Tina Wilson, his mother, describes the young entrepreneur’s passion for shoes: “His whole life was buying sneakers, and he’d make one of us camp out in line with him when a new pair was coming out,” Wilson said.
The business guru studied books by Tony Robbins and other inspirational characters in order to start his own business. He sacrificed his entire shoe collection and worked a FedEx job to raise money to open his first store.
Gaines’ resilience paid off. He went on to co-own Irving Street sneaker boutique East Coast and partnered with three there New York area stores.
His accomplishments in such a short time are proof of the huge impact he was meant to make in the sneaker game and in business.
“He was extremely loving, and he just wanted to help people,” his mother said. “He had a big heart and was always trying to make it big to help his family. He and his sister were inseparable.”
Knowing how beloved Jamal was in his community makes pinning down a suspect or a motive even more difficult.
Anyone with information about the shooting is being urged to contact Homicide Task Force Sgt. Michael Manochio at 908-966-2287 or Detective Sofia Santos at 908-577-4256.
The Union County Crime Stoppers also are offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in this case; tips can be given anonymously by phone at 908-654-TIPS (8477), via text message by texting “UCTIP” plus a message to 274637 (CRIMES), or online at uctip.org.
And We Thought We Came So Far: The Most Racist Moments Of 2014
1. 2014’s Most Racist Moments1 of 24
2. Artie Lange’s Racist & Sexist Tweet2 of 24
3. Sephora Singles Out Asian Customers3 of 24
4. Twitter Racists Hate The “New Annie”4 of 24
5. People Magazine’s Lame HTGAWM Tweet5 of 24
6. ’12 Years A Slave’ Headlines That Hurt6 of 24
7. Fergson Protestors Labeled ‘Animals’7 of 24
8. Huffington Post’s Really Uncomfortable “Once You Go Black” List8 of 24
9. Ebola9 of 24
10. “Breathe Easy, Don’t Break The Law” Shirts10 of 24
11. Fraternity Uses Dark-Skinned Blow Up Doll As Beyonce Sex Doll11 of 24
12. Sony’s Racist Emails12 of 24
13. New Hampshire Police Commissioner Calls Obama The N-Word13 of 24
14. Racist Halloween Costumes14 of 24
15. Richard Sherman Gets Called a ‘Thug’ By Media15 of 24
16. Watermelon Toothpaste Cartoon Featuring Obama16 of 24
17. Shonda Rhimes Labeled “Angry Black Woman” By NYT17 of 24
18. Donald Sterling’s Rant18 of 24
19. Bill O’Reilly19 of 24
20. John Boyega Responds To Racist Star Wars Fans20 of 24
21. Don Lemon Being Don Lemon21 of 24
22. New York Times Called Michael Brown ‘No Angel’22 of 24
23. Booker T. Washington Walkout23 of 24
24. Racist Stripper Goes On ‘N-Word’ Rant24 of 24
Young, Black Entrepreneur Slain In New Jersey Under Mysterious Circumstances was originally published on hellobeautiful.com