In the past year, DeRay McKesson has turned 140 characters on Twitter into a political crusade. The figurehead of the Black Lives Matter movement has announced that he is running for the Mayor of Baltimore.
The current mayor of the city, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake has decided not to run for reelection amidst a highly controversial tenure where following the death of Freddie Gray, Baltimore became one of the epicenter’s for #BlackLivesMatter protests against police brutality.
While McKesson may seem to be a favorable candidate to millennials, the former public school administrator has stiff competition that boosts more political experience.
According to the Baltimore Sun, the likely frontrunner is Nick J. Mosby, a city councilman and the husband of state prosecutor, Marilyn Mosby who is trying the six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray.
Former Baltimore mayor Sheila Dixon, is also in the race and remains popular amongst residents even though she left office after a conviction on fraud charges.
McKesson, 30, has released a statement on his political aspirations: “If Baltimore wants to achieve its ‘promise and possibility,’ “we cannot rely on traditional pathways to politics and the traditional politicians who walk that path. We have to challenge the practices that have not and will not lead to transformation.”
The Democratic primary will take place on April 26th.
10 Things You Should Know About Activist Angela Davis (PHOTOS)
1. Angela was a member of Che-Lumumba, an exclusively black branch of the Communist Party.1 of 10
2. In 1970, she was put on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted Criminals list for her association with the Black Panther Partner & her wrongful accusation in a murder case.2 of 10
3. Her mother, Sallye Davis, was a leading organizer of the Southern Negro Congress. Activism literally runs through Angela's veins.3 of 10
4. Angela married once, in 1980, to photographer Hilton Braithwaite. Their marriage ended in divorce several years later.4 of 10
5. She ran for Vice President of the United States in 1980 & 1984 on the Communist Party ticket.5 of 10
6. She was the Chair of the Minority Women's Studies department at the University of Santa Barbara.6 of 10
7. Angela completed her graduate studies at the University of Frankfurt, in Germany.7 of 10
8. She spent 16 months in jail while awaiting trial for murder, kidnapping and criminal conspiracy charges. She was acquitted of all 3 charges, in a landmark case.8 of 10
9. Angela has written 8 books. One of her books was written alongside famed activist and Black Panther, Assata Shakur.9 of 10
10. In the 1980s, President Ronald Reagan sought to ban Angela from teaching in California for her involvement with the Communist Party.10 of 10
#BlackLivesMatter Activist DeRay Mckesson Is Running For Mayor Of Baltimore was originally published on hellobeautiful.com