The Epic Records CEO is dishing on all the music business behind the scenes juice in his upcoming memoir Sing to Me: My Story of Making Music, Finding Magic, and Searching for Who’s Next. In the book, Reid recalls meeting Rihanna for the first time and admits to not being able to see her star power just yet.
“I first laid eyes on her in the hallway. I didn’t know she was a singer or anything, just a pretty girl standing outside somebody’s office. Then Jay Z burst into my office,” he writes.
After performing a Beyonce song for him for the first time, Reid realized RiRi would be a star, but not as big a star as she is today. He revealed:
“At the label, we thought Teairra Mari would be the big star. We spent more time on her, did more work on her, paid more attention to her. Rihanna already had a hit with “Pon De Replay,” but we still thought it was the other girl. A bell went off for me, however, when, after the showcase, Beyoncé came up to me. “That Rihanna girl,” she said, “she’s a beast.”
Who knew that Bey was an original member of the Rihanna Navy?
L.A. Reid’s memoir Sing to Me hits stores on Feb. 2.
Rihanna Throws A Star-Studded Block Party For NYFW
1. Gigi Hadid and The Weeknd greeted with a kiss on the cheek while arriving at RiRi's top secret NYC block party.Source:Splash News 1 of 11
2. The block party host held onto her drink.Source:Splash News 2 of 11
3. Gigi's boyfriend Joe Jonas looked on as his girl chatted with The Weeknd, her sister Bella's boyfriend.Source:Splash News 3 of 11
4. KimYe showed up and showed out.Source:Splash News 4 of 11
5. EJ Johnson rocked a sheer black ensemble.Source:Splash News 5 of 11
6. Wiz Khalifa came through.Source:Splash News 6 of 11
7. Gabrielle Union made a statement with her dress.Source:Splash News 7 of 11
8. Hey Fab!Source:Splash News 8 of 11
9. Pharrell rocked denim on denim.Source:Splash News 9 of 11
10. Nicole Richie came to party.Source:Splash News 10 of 11
11. Victor Cruz and his fiancee Elaina Watley.Source:Splash News 11 of 11
SOURCE: Billboard | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty