The Queen of tennis has done it again, for the fourth time in her career. On Christmas Day, the Associated Press (AP) named Serena Williams its Female Athlete of The Year—and she won by a landslide. “Williams collected 50 first-place votes and 352 points. Carli Lloyd, whose hat trick in the final lifted the U.S. women’s soccer team to the World Cup title, was the runner-up, with 14 first-place votes and 243 points,” ESPN reported. And UFC fighters Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm finished third and fourth, while UConn basketball player Breanna Stewart came in fifth.
Williams won this same award in 2002, 2009 and 2013.
Taking to social media, the tennis legend expressed her gratitude and excitement for being recognized.
Looking at the electrifying 2015 Williams had, it’s easy to see why she earned this major award.
While she disappointedly lost in the 2015 U.S. Open, the 34-year old GOAT dominated the court winning this year’s Australian Open and French Open and last year’s U.S. Open. She also achieved the coveted “Serena slam” with her 2015 Wimbledon win, marking her twenty-first Grand Slam singles title. Also, the “take no prisoners” champion ended the year with a 53-3 record and was ranked number one in the world every single week in 2015.
Accolades like this one are not new to Williams. Just a few weeks ago, she was named Sportsperson of The Year by Sports Illustrated, making her the first solo Black woman to grace the magazine’s annual cover. She also graced the pages of Vogue and New York Magazine and this fall debuted her HSN Signature Statement Collection at New York Fashion Week.
Williams was joined by Golden State Warriors’ MVP Stephen Curry, as he was named the AP’s Male Athlete of the Year on Saturday. The King of the three-pointer is one of four basketball players—Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and LeBron James—to have ever won this award in it’s 85-year history, ESPN noted.
“That’s a real honor…I’m appreciative of that acknowledgement because it’s across all different sports. … It’s pretty cool,” Curry said.
Man, we stay winnin’.
Powerful & Beautiful: Serena Williams’ Most Glamorous Moments
1. Give us life!Source: 1 of 27
2. Pretty in pink at the ESPYs.Source: 2 of 27
3. Killer curves.Source: 3 of 27
4. Full glam mode.Source: 4 of 27
5. Don’t get it twisted…Source: 5 of 27
6. Serena knows how to dress it up!Source: 6 of 27
7. Strutting.Source: 7 of 27
8. Every girl’s favorite pose.Source: 8 of 27
9. Spotted at the Halo Awards.Source: 9 of 27
10. Hi Haters.Source: 10 of 27
11. Pastel pretty.Source: 11 of 27
12. One word: Stunning.Source: 12 of 27
13. Serena handles runways with ease, too.Source: 13 of 27
14. Praise hands-worthy.Source: 14 of 27
15. Heart eyes x 100000.Source: 15 of 27
16. Three snaps.Source: 16 of 27
17. The infamous booty.Source: 17 of 27
18. Enviable shape.Source: 18 of 27
19. Pardon her back.Source: 19 of 27
20. Over the shoulder.Source: 20 of 27
21. This dress hugs her in all the right places.Source: 21 of 27
22. Drop dead gorgeous.Source: 22 of 27
23. Heyyyyy, Serena.Source: 23 of 27
24. What’s her secret? We need these abs.Source: 24 of 27
25. Winning in style.Source: 25 of 27
26. Fleek!Source: 26 of 27
27. Perfect 10.Source: 27 of 27
Serena Williams Named AP Female Athlete of The Year was originally published on hellobeautiful.com