Ava Duvernay‘s new barbie sold out within five minutes. Now that’s black girl magic.
The Oscar nominated director revealed earlier today that the barbie would be available for purchase earlier than expected because of the high demand:
DuVernay, who is forever our shero, announced that all the money spent on the dolls would go to charity because, well, she’s amazing:
That means lots of dollar bills going towards the organization that seeks to strengthen the political voice of Black Americans:
The doll was originally intended to be a part of a limited collection line, celebrating female role models such as actress Kristin Chenoweth and country singer Trisha Yearwood. But the twitterati and internet world demanded more dolls, and their wish was granted.
Now a whole generation of black girls will have little dolls they can read and know about. They are more than beauty, they are a legacy.
15 Times Ava DuVernay Proved She’s A Budding Fashion Icon
1. 2015 Oscars1 of 15
2. Essence Women in Hollywood Luncheon2 of 15
3. Selma Berlin Premiere3 of 15
4. Selma Screening at the AFI Fest4 of 15
5. 46th NAACP Image Awards5 of 15
6. Palm Springs Film Festival Awards Gala6 of 15
7. Palm Springs Festival Opening Gala7 of 15
8. The Contenders Deadline Event8 of 15
9. Film Independent Spirit Awards9 of 15
10. ICG Publicists Awards10 of 15
11. Selma European Premiere11 of 15
12. Selma Berlin Photocall12 of 15
13. Selma New York Premiere13 of 15
14. Ebony Magazine 2014 Power 100 List Celebration14 of 15
15. “Selma” And The Legends Who Paved The Way Gala15 of 15