Ava Duvernay‘s new barbie sold out within five minutes. Now that’s black girl magic.
The Oscar nominated director revealed earlier today that the barbie would be available for purchase earlier than expected because of the high demand:
DuVernay, who is forever our shero, announced that all the money spent on the dolls would go to charity because, well, she’s amazing:
That means lots of dollar bills going towards the organization that seeks to strengthen the political voice of Black Americans:
The doll was originally intended to be a part of a limited collection line, celebrating female role models such as actress Kristin Chenoweth and country singer Trisha Yearwood. But the twitterati and internet world demanded more dolls, and their wish was granted.
Now a whole generation of black girls will have little dolls they can read and know about. They are more than beauty, they are a legacy.
15 Times Ava DuVernay Proved She's A Budding Fashion Icon
1. 2015 OscarsSource:Getty Images 1 of 15
2. Essence Women in Hollywood LuncheonSource:Getty Images 2 of 15
3. Selma Berlin PremiereSource:Getty Images 3 of 15
4. Selma Screening at the AFI FestSource:Getty Images 4 of 15
5. 46th NAACP Image AwardsSource:Getty Images 5 of 15
6. Palm Springs Film Festival Awards GalaSource:Getty Images 6 of 15
7. Palm Springs Festival Opening GalaSource:Getty Images 7 of 15
8. The Contenders Deadline EventSource:Getty Images 8 of 15
9. Film Independent Spirit AwardsSource:Getty Images 9 of 15
10. ICG Publicists AwardsSource:Getty Images 10 of 15
11. Selma European PremiereSource:Getty Images 11 of 15
12. Selma Berlin PhotocallSource:Getty Images 12 of 15
13. Selma New York PremiereSource:Getty Images 13 of 15
14. Ebony Magazine 2014 Power 100 List CelebrationSource:Getty Images 14 of 15
15. "Selma" And The Legends Who Paved The Way GalaSource:Getty Images 15 of 15