Kirk Franklin recently stopped by SFPL TV, Pre-album release day, to talk about his new project, religion, social media, Drake, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and more. Getting mounds of flack from the album title, Kirk continues to beat the odds and the naysayers, as his album hit the top of the charts landing No. 1 on Billboard’s Current Gospel Chart and Billboard’s Top Christian/Gospel Albums Chart. The album also entered No. 10 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums Chart. The new project marks Franklin’s eleventh consecutive No.1 debut.
About the title Losing My Religion, Kirk says:
With the new album, when I say ‘Losing My Religion’, i’m saying: that just like Marriage cannot guarantee Intimacy, Rules does not guarantee Relationship. And that Rules without Relationship leads to Rebellion. And I believe that’s why so many people leave church, or leave christianity or just any type of system of belief; because you keep stacking the rules on them. I believe that it’s a time to stop trying and start trusting.
Kirk also mentioned to that he’s currently listening to the likes of: Taylor Swift [he mentions jokingly as his guilty pleasure and says: Yo, Taylor! Don’t sleep on her! She’s dope!], Drake, Kendrick Lamar, U2, Mumford & Sons and more.
Kirk candidly talks about Kendrick Lamar:
I just rock with what feels good. I mess with what I feel is genuine and just very honest music, because that’s what I wanna be; a very genuine and honest artist. Everyone I listen to is not the purpose of me wanting to work with them, it’s just I try to make sure i’m expounding and expanding what it is that is culturally relevant, and I love great artistry; and I think he’s a great artist. Of course, i’m not able to cosign all of the lyrical content but that’s not my job to.
Check out the FULL interview below:
‘Losing My Religion’ is available now on all music streaming platforms.
Kendrick Lamar Poses For Terry Richardson (PHOTOS)
1. Kendrick posing as Terry Richardson, with an added West Side flair.Source: 1 of 14
2. Kendrick Lamar x Terry Richardson at Terry's studio.Source: 2 of 14
3. Kendrick shows his silly side at the photoshoot.Source: 3 of 14
4. Hmm. If rapping doesn't work out well, Kendrick Lamar does have that model stare down pat.Source: 4 of 14
5. What can we say, Kendrick's a true Cali dude. #westsideSource: 5 of 14
6. Kendrick always represents the West.Source: 6 of 14
7. Side Profile.Source: 7 of 14
8. Gotta love Kendrick in this picture, too dope.Source: 8 of 14
9. Kendrick Lamar shares his views on cops through his shirt in this photo.Source: 9 of 14
10. Kendrick Lamar & The Poetic Justice Of A Good Kid shot for Document Magazine.Source: 10 of 14
11. Silly Kendrick Vs. Hip-Hop Kendrick. We love them both.Source: 11 of 14
12. We weren't lying when we said Kendrick reps the West to the fullest.Source: 12 of 14
13. Kendrick gets gangsta on the shoot and we're feeling it. Plus check out his tats.Source: 13 of 14
14. Kendrick Lamar for Document Magazine, Amazing shots by Terry Richardson.Source: 14 of 14
Kirk Franklin On Kendrick Lamar: “I Think He’s A Great Artist” [VIDEO] was originally published on stuffflypeoplelike.com