After a contentious divorce to his wife of nearly 20 years, Malaak Compton, Chris Rock seemed to have taken some time away from the spotlight and understandably so. We most recently saw the funny man play a badass drug kingpin on the season premiere of Empire.
We also saw Chris make a rare public appearance to pay homage to Eddie Murphy when he received the Mark Twain Prize For American Humor earlier this month.
Chris has just confirmed via Instagram that he’ll be hosting the 88th Academy Awards on February 28, 2016! “Look who’s back” he said in his caption while holding one of the coveted statues.
It’s been a whopping 10 years since he last hosted the Oscars. Check out his opening monologue from 2005 where he joked about the four black people who were nominated that evening. The camera awkwardly pans to Jamie Foxx, Don Cheadle and Morgan Freeman.
Terrance Howard was nominated that evening for the Empire pre-quel, Hustle And Flow where 3 6 Mafia (Juicy J, Frayser Boy, DJ Paul) won the ‘Best Original Song’, Oscar for “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from Hustle And Flow.
We wonder how many people of color will be nominated in 2016?
PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Chris Rock, Rosario Dawson, Ariana Grande, & More
1. Cheese! Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson show their excitement for their movie "Top Five" at its NYC premiere.1 of 10
2. No pictures please! Ariana Grande covers up as she heads through LAX.2 of 10
3. Keep it cool. Willow Smith shows off her sense of style while performing on the Enter The Void Tour.3 of 10
4. Mariah Carey sings her heart out at the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in NYC.4 of 10
5. Oh God! Big Sean shows off some serious swag as he arrives into LAX.5 of 10
6. All about that bass. Sean Kingston and Meghan Trainor record a duet together at his studio.6 of 10
7. Going strong! Ice-T and Coco dress to impress for the NYC "Top Five" premiere.7 of 10
8. Vision of beauty. Solange Knowles keeps it cute in a yellow dress at the "Timeless Portofino" Gala Event at Art Basel Miami.8 of 10
9. Jessie J shows off her slim and trim figure at Logo TV's 2014 NewNowNext Awards.9 of 10
10. Smooches! Adriana Lima blows a kiss at the "Timeless Portofino" Gala Event at Art Basel Miami.10 of 10