Kanye West is crazy as hell and we love it. Just when we were about to turn the channel, Taylor Swift presented Kanye West with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, which he used as a moment to rebel against every status quo and announce he’s running for president.
Yes. President of the United States. Drops mic.
While Ye’s speech was incredibly long, he made valid points. Here is the video and full transcript of what Kanye had to say…
Bro. Bro. Listen to the kids.
First of all, thank you Taylor for being so gracious and giving me this award this evening. I often think back to the first day I met you, also. I think about when I’m in the grocery store with my daughter and I have a really great conversation about fresh juice and at the end, they say, “Oh, you’re not that bad after all.” It crosses my mind a little bit when I go to a baseball game and 60,000 people boo me; crosses my mind a little bit. If I had to do it all again, what would I have done? Would I have worn a leather shirt? Would I have drank a half a bottle of Hennessey and gave the rest of it to the audience? Y’all know you drank that bottle too. If I had a daughter at that time, would I have went onstage and grabbed the mic from someone else?
This arena, tomorrow, is going to be a completely different setup. This stage will be gone. After that night, the stage was gone, but the effect that it had on people remained. The problem was the contradiction; I do fight for artists, but in that fight, I somehow was disrespectful to artists. I didn’t know how to say the right, perfect thing.
I sat at the Grammys and saw Justin Timberlake and Cee Lo lose; Gnarls Barkley and the FutureSex/LoveSounds album. I ain’t trying to put you on blast, but I saw that man in tears. He deserved to win Album of the Year. And this small box that we are as the entertainers of the evening, how could you explain that? All this shit they run about beef and all that, sometimes I feel like that I died for artists to be able to have an opinion after they were successful.
I’m not no politician, bruh. And look at that [points to screen]. You know how many times MTV ran that footage again? Because it got them more ratings. You know how many times they announced Taylor was going to give me the award. Because it got them more ratings. Listen to the kids, bruh!
mtv vma The Complete VMA Winners List »
I still don’t understand award shows. I don’t understand how they get five people who work their entire life, won, sell records, sell concert tickets, to come, stand on a carpet and for the first time in their life, be judged on the chopping block and have the opportunity to be considered a loser. I don’t understand it, bro! I’ve been conflicted. I just wanted people to like me more. But fuck that, bro! 2015. I will die for the art — for what I believe in — and the art ain’t always gonna be polite.
Y’all might be thinking, “I wonder. Did he smoke something before he came out here?” The answer is, “Yes, I rolled up a little something. I knocked the edge off.” I don’t know what’s going to happen tonight; I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow. But all I can say to my fellow artists: just worry about how you feel at the time, man.
I’m confident. I believe in myself. We the millenials, bruh. This is a new mentality. We not going to control our kids with brands. We not going to teach low self-esteem and hate to our kids. We going to teach our kids that they can be something. We can teach our kids that they can stand up for themselves. We going to teach our kids to believe in themselves. If my grandfather was here right now, he would not let me back down.
I don’t know what I finna lose after this. It don’t matter, though; It’s not about me. It’s about ideas. New ideas. People with ideas. People who believe in truth. And yes, as you probably could’ve guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president.
RED CARPET RECAP: The 2015 MTV Video Music Awards
1. The Kardashians and Jenners are in the building.Source:Getty 1 of 30
2. Fresh off the success of his new single, Justin Bieber comes through in jeans and a jacket.Source:Getty 2 of 30
3. The oldest and the youngest.Source:Getty 3 of 30
4. Still got it! Britney Spears was everything in a see-through sequined number.Source:Getty 4 of 30
5. Kim Kardashian arrived with her hubby, Kanye West, who will receive the 2015 Video Vanguard Award.Source:Getty 5 of 30
6. Pharrell and his wife were the red carpet's denim duo.Source:Getty 6 of 30
7. Ciara rocked noticeably shorter hair as she arrived in a daring dress.Source:Getty 7 of 30
8. Yas! Nicki Minaj stunned in gold.Source:Getty 8 of 30
9. O'Shea Jackson Jr. kept things casual.Source:Getty 9 of 30
10. Rocking a jacket that reads, "KKKops are the biggest gang," clearly Vic Mensa chose to make a statement.Source:Getty 10 of 30
11. Cara Delevingne in Saint Laurent.Source:Getty 11 of 30
12. Rocking a patterned frock, JoJo is still a perfect 10.Source:Getty 12 of 30
13. Selena Gomez proves that you can never go wrong with all black everything.Source:Getty 13 of 30
14. Gigi Hadid absolutely shined.Source:Getty 14 of 30
15. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen gave us yet another reason to consider them #RelationshipGoals.Source:Getty 15 of 30
16. Nick Jonas rocked head-to-toe leather.Source:Getty 16 of 30
17. Amber Rose and Blac Chyna continued their BFF escapades in matching outfits.Source:Getty 17 of 30
18. Jeremy Scott kept it vibrant in color. Much like this year's Moon Man trophy.Source:Getty 18 of 30
19. Miguel was looking fly in YSL.Source:Getty 19 of 30
20. Taylor Swift opted for a sequined top and trousers combo.Source:Getty 20 of 30
21. Demi Lovato was pretty in pink.Source:Getty 21 of 30
22. Miley Cyrus narrowly avoids nip-slips in Versace.Source:Getty 22 of 30
23. Charlamagne flashed a smile for the photogs before hosting the red carpet.Source:Getty 23 of 30
24. Kelly Osbourne attended to host the pre-show.Source:Getty 24 of 30
25. Tori Kelly flaunted her toned legs in short-shorts.Source:Getty 25 of 30
26. Major squad goals.Source:Getty 26 of 30
27. Rocsi Diaz didn't shy away from flashing cleavage in a revealing LBD.Source:Getty 27 of 30
28. Vanessa Hudgens was simply beautiful in an elegant gown.Source:Getty 28 of 30
29. Work! Rita Ora's feathers are unstoppable.Source:Getty 29 of 30
30. Praise Him.Source:Getty 30 of 30
Red Carpet Rundown: The 2015 Video Music Awards
1. Nicki MinajSource:Getty 1 of 21
2. Kim Kardashian and Kanye WestSource:Getty 2 of 21
3. CiaraSource:Getty 3 of 21
4. Amber Rose and Blac ChynaSource:Getty 4 of 21
5. John Legend and Chrissy TeigenSource:Getty 5 of 21
6. Miley CyrusSource:Getty 6 of 21
7. Kylie JennerSource:Getty 7 of 21
8. Taylor SwiftSource:Getty 8 of 21
9. TygaSource:Getty 9 of 21
10. SerayahSource:Getty 10 of 21
11. Rita OraSource:Getty 11 of 21
12. Pharrell and Helen LasichanhSource:Getty 12 of 21
13. Justin BieberSource:Getty 13 of 21
14. Vanessa HudgensSource:Getty 14 of 21
15. Kelly OsbourneSource:Getty 15 of 21
16. Selena GomezSource:Getty 16 of 21
17. MiguelSource:Getty 17 of 21
18. Kat GrahamSource:Getty 18 of 21
19. Rocsi DiazSource:Getty 19 of 21
20. Tori KellySource:Getty 20 of 21
21. FKA TwigsSource:Getty 21 of 21
Kanye Announces He’s Running For President In Epic VMA Acceptance Speech [VIDEO] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com