Just after the first photos of Caitlyn Jenner (f.k.a. Bruce Jenner) were released earlier today by Vanity Fair, journalist James Andrew Miller has announced that she will be the recipient of this year’s Arthur Ashe Award for Courage at the upcoming ESPY’s.
The Arthur Ashe Courage Award was first given out in 1993 and has since been awarded to the likes of Muhammad Ali, Nelson Mandela, and most recently Michael Sam. While the award is a feature at the ESPY Awards not all recipients are athletes or athletic celebrities.
Caitlyn Jenner appears on the cover of Vanity Fair’s upcoming July issue and the feature profile contained within consists of a 22-page spread with photos from the iconic photographer Annie Leibovitz.
12 Interesting Facts About Bruce Jenner
1. Though he would eventually prove to be great at sports, Bruce lost his passion for academics early on in life due to his struggle with dyslexia. He went on to flunk the second grade.Source:Splash News 1 of 11
2. It was not a surprise that Bruce Jenner excelled at athletics, as his father competed in the 1945 U.S. Army Olympics, bringing home a silver medal, and his grandfather ran in the Boston Marathon many times.Source:Getty 2 of 11
3. Bruce Jenner might spend all of his time in Malibu now, but he was born in Mount Kisco, New York on October 18th, 1949.Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. After becoming an Olympic gold medalist in the 1970s, he was propelled into fame - Bruce is quoted as saying in part: "What I was hiding was that I had the same mindset as the nervous dyslexic schoolboy hiding from my teacher."Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. Though Bruce didn't have much interest in academics, he did go to college - mostly as a way to avoid getting drafted into the army.Source:Getty 5 of 11
6. According to Bruce, in 1990, he was living "in a one-bedroom Los Angeles bungalow, my sink piled high with dirty dishes and my living room decorated with a dried-out Christmas tree."Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. Things turned around for Bruce when he met Kris. So it's no surprise, they married just 5 months after they met in 1990.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. Bruce is the proud owner of Bruce Jenner Aviation, a company that sells model aircrafts, as well as aircraft parts.Source:Instagram 8 of 11
9. Bruce has two kids with each of his three former wives - Kendall and Kylie with Kris Jenner, Brandon and Brody with Linda Thompson, and Casey and Burt from his first marriage to Chrystie Crownover.Source:Instagram 9 of 11
10. Bruce recently admitted to the world that he's had a life-long struggle with gender, and will be transitioning into a woman. His entire family supports him.Source:Instagram 10 of 11
11. Bruce Jenner's net worth is reportedly more than 3x that of Kris Jenner's, and is estimated to currently be at about $100 million.Source:Getty 11 of 11