The San Francisco 49ers and the NFL have adopted extraordinary security measures for Sunday’s NFC championship against the New York Giants after New Orleans Saints fans complained of harassment by unruly 49ers faithful last week.
Undercover police will be dressed in Giants’ garb and on the lookout for nasty fans. Giants ticketholders will be handed a card as they enter Candlestick Park with details on how to contact police if they feel threatened. And more security cameras and undercover police officers will be in place to identify abusive fans.
Season ticketholders have also been warned to follow the NFL Fan Code of Conduct: no foul or abusive language or obscene gestures and no verbal or physical abuse of opposing team fans.
The nail-biting 36-32 win last Saturday for the 49ers was the team’s first playoff game in nine years, and a raucous crowd was on hand to enjoy the victory at the expense of the Saints.
“I apologize for any rudeness that may have happened,” San Francisco 49ers president and CEO Jed York said. “I think you saw 49ers fans who were very excited about hosting a playoff game for the first time in a long time.”
Those fans were so excited that they ruined the day for a shaken Don Moses and his two teenage daughters. Moses, a longtime Bay Area resident who is from New Orleans, said they were wearing the Saints colors and prepared for some good-natured ribbing.
Instead, he tells a horror story of fear and humiliation when his daughters asked him why he didn’t do anything to stop the hulking 49ers fans who yelled vulgarities and threw footballs at them, screamed in their faces and called their mother a whore.
“The hostility and threats of violence were a constant throughout our experience,” Moses said in a letter to the San Francisco Chronicle, one that launched some soul-searching by city officials and led to some 49ers fans to apologize on behalf of their city.
“Every other word from dozens of fans around us was an f-bomb shouted at the top of their lungs,” Moses said. “There were seven or eight large 30- to 35-year-old guys directly behind us who cursed and threatened us the entire game.” He turned to ask them to tone it down in front of his girls and they yelled: “Do not turn around again! Do not ever turn around again.”
He was afraid that if the fans saw him calling or texting security, the men would harm his daughters.
“Every 49ers fan, the team and its owners should be ashamed and embarrassed to wear the red and gold today,” Moses wrote in the letter published Tuesday. “They won the game but are losers in every other way.”
NFL security director Jeff Miller told the AP that if the security cameras or undercover police catch such abusive behavior by fans on Sunday, they will be yanked from the stadium.
“We’ll be looking early on to identify people trying to do those things in the parking areas and take action to remove them,” said Miller, who will be at the game. “We’re not going to be warning people inside the stadium. They will be removed.”
Authorities are already sensitive about the heartbreaking case of Brian Stow, a paramedic and San Francisco Giants fan who suffered a traumatic brain injury after a beating by two men dressed in Dodgers gear following the home opener against the Giants in Los Angeles on March 31. Medical care for Stow is expected to cost as much as $50 million and the father of two has sued the Dodgers.
Tailgating after kickoff already has been banned from the parking lot at Candlestick Park under security measures introduced after two shootings, a beating and fights broke out during an Aug. 20 pre-season game with across-the-bay rivals Oakland Raiders.
San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr said he heard first-hand how Saints fans were treated last Saturday when he gave three of them a lift from the stadium back into the city after the game. They gave him an earful about how badly they’d been belittled.
“We’re all native San Franciscans and, you know, that’s not the way we want to represent the team and the city,” Suhr said.
He said Mayor Ed Lee instructed him to do whatever it takes to make Giants fans feel safe.
Police officers and team personnel at the ticket gates will be welcoming them with cards that tell them how to contact police.
The 49ers also purchased Giants attire for undercover police officers.
“They’ll be seated around the stadium as decoys, if you will, trying to draw out the obnoxious fans and they will be removed immediately,” he said.
Then there are the lights.
A good portion of the game will be played under the same stadium lights that blacked out and delayed the nationally televised Monday Night Football game between the 49ers and the Pittsburgh Steelers on Dec. 19.
The city and the Pacific Gas & Electric Co. insist there won’t be an embarrassing repeat of the two blackouts at the 51-year-old stadium, which had prompted the mayor to call the night a “national embarrassment.”
PG&E spokesman Joe Molica is confident the nearly $1 million in upgrades to the park by the electric utility and the city will prove the old bayside stadium proud.
He said the wire for the electrical circuit that serves the park has been replaced with more than a mile and a half of new wire that is resistant to contact and carries three times the electrical load. A new computer system allows workers to better monitor the circuit.
The command center at the stadium has conducted a string of tests simulating the Dec. 19 blackout and everything tested well.
Will Molica be holding his breath on Sunday about another blackout?
No, he said, “I’ll be holding my breath for the 49ers to win.”
1. Rickey Smiley & Listeners On The Beach In Punta Cana
1 of 83
2. Juicy was that the uncle luke show
2 of 83
3. At my show at Coco Bongo in the Dominican Republic Punta Cana with Ricky
3 of 83
4. Everyone was at the @realrickeysmiley Uncle Luke Sold out Party in the DR
4 of 83
5. Everyone was at the Uncle Luke Party in the DR with the @realrickeysmiley weekend
5 of 83
6. Got some Viking coaches over here in Punta Cana
6 of 83
7. This just in the theme to my party tonight at the @realrickeysmiley weekend is were what you dare. This is going to be interesting
7 of 83
8. I have been all over Dominican Republic this is the best hotel in the country five star service
8 of 83
9. Chicago in the house in the DR
9 of 83
10 of 83
11. At Club juice in the Dominican Republic for the Rickey smiley weekend.
11 of 83
12. Reading the final proof of my memoirs here in Punta Cana to be release August 4 in a bookstore near you. Make sure you pre-order now we need to make this book one of the first Southern hip hop books to be on the best seller.
12 of 83
13. Tonight I had a blast at the Rickey Smiley weekend 90's party here in Dominican Republic
13 of 83
14. I made it baby I'm here Punta Cana with my man @Rickeysmiley all the chemicals are ready
14 of 83
15. We made it to the DR
15 of 83
16. Last night here...
16 of 83
17. @realrickeysmiley great event!!! #PuntaCana
17 of 83
18. Last night in #PuntaCana and I must say I had a really good time and met lots of awesome people from all across America. Tag me if we took a picture! Thanks! 💋💋💋
18 of 83
19. Last evening in #PuntaCana body suit by someone-shoes by Vince Camuto < so comfortable 😎👍🏾
19 of 83
20. I'm always happy in the tropics! This was a great trip 😉😉 #PuntaCana
20 of 83
21. My immediate future..... #Happy #blessed #LuckiestGirl #GratefulForEverything
21 of 83
22. @garywdtea and CJ
22 of 83
23. Bout to check out this comedy show @realrickeysmiley and @specialk913 performing! Can't wait to see my boys rip it! PuntaCana
23 of 83
24. I'll be here all day....#PuntaCana
24 of 83
25. Yesterday with my girl @msjuicyrsms
25 of 83
26. Current situation.... I'm kinda happy right About now! 😎😎😎😎😎
26 of 83
27. #repost from @rozay_janae #PuntaCana
27 of 83
28. After hours spot for some late night food. I swear I'm not this skinny but this angle tho. The beef empanadas were everything! #connection
28 of 83
29. @sosobrat and me this morning. Love her personality! She rocked it!
29 of 83
30. Last night was all that! #CongoBongo #PuntaCana
30 of 83
31. Me and DA Bruhs#punta canta
31 of 83
32. Rickey Smiley
32 of 83
33. Rickey Smiley
33 of 83
34. EVIDENCE! Gary's @garywdtea epic Stick legs right before he FELL and busted his BUTT... His scraped up heel is the evidence. Lol.
34 of 83
35. In #PuntaCana with the family @headkrack @garywdtea @specialk913 @sosobrat @porsha4real #RSMS #DishNation
35 of 83
36. Live from #PuntaCana with @sosobrat We all the way TURNT UP
36 of 83
37. ROCK-T & DJ DRAMA rockin the Dominican Republic. LOOK OUT! Light Skinned homies coming back in style. Lol. @DjDrama
37 of 83
38 of 83
39. Memo to white dudes. It's NEVER cool or acceptable. Why do y'all keep doing this to my eyes
39 of 83
40. The face you make when they have wings in the club but you just don't know if that's the move.
40 of 83
41. Roof party Punta Canta
41 of 83
42. Early morning broadcast. Peoples been here since 5am #StraightFromTheClub #PuntaCana
42 of 83
43. Not many cooler than my sis @sosoBrat #PuntaCana (Humidity about to kick in)
43 of 83
44. The airport
44 of 83
45. You can spot the ninjas who are experiencing first class for the very first time in their life. Everyone congratulate @specialk913 he finally "made" it!!! 😂😂😂😂😂
45 of 83
46. With my partner in crime in Punta Cana @garywdtea at the rooftop day party
46 of 83
47. With my boys/co-hosts @rocktholla and @headkrack #RoofTopDayParty #PuntaCana
47 of 83
48. Last night was all that! #CongoBongo #PuntaCana
48 of 83
49. Breaking news! @garywdtea has been kicked out the sorority!
49 of 83
50. @sosobrat and me this morning. Love her personality! She rocked it!
50 of 83
51. Rickey Smiley
51 of 83
52. That's right we in da house strong #Repost @beyonceatl・・・The crew is here #rickeysmiley #puntacana @headkrack @jahlionsound @msjuicyrsms @prettygeekz @rocktholla
52 of 83
53. Hotel lobby in Punta Canta
53 of 83
54. Aint nothing like ALLLLLLLLLL INCLUSIVE!!!! at the bar........ #rickeysmileycaribbeangetaway2015 #rickeysmiley #puntacana
56. Gary with the tea said this was the best picture in the house 😁 I think so too 😎#ipleadthe5th #rickeysmiley #teamnokids #puntacana2015 #puntacana
56 of 83
57. It's so Beautiful here... #Bacherlorette get away... #ipleadthe5th... #rickeysmiley... #Vacation... #PuntaCana 💃💃💃
57 of 83
58. Breakfast at Caribe wit @msjuicyrsms!!!!! #rickeysmileycaribbeangetaway2015
58 of 83
59. I'm here yall Punta Cana #SquareInstaPic
59 of 83
60. Wake Uuuuuuuuuuuppppppppp Looking out my window this is what I see PUNTA CANA BABY! !!! #SquareInstaPic @studio8apps
60 of 83
61. Headed down now to get my workout on
61 of 83
62. The Guru of Abs I'm tired ass hell #SquareInstaPic
62 of 83
63. We worked out on the beach with The Guru of Abs JUST BEAUTIFUL #SquareInstaPic
63 of 83
64. Day z party on The Roof Top. #SquareInstaPic
64 of 83
65. #SquareInstaPic punta Cana
65 of 83
66. #SquareInstaPic Special K and I clowning at the Day Party
66 of 83
67. #Repost @jahlionsound・・・Me & @DjDrama last night before destroying club #Arijetos #PuntaCana #DominicanRepublic w/ @Krunkmaster & the entire @RickeySmileyMorningShowTonight I'm live at club Jewel5/22 - Barcelo Convention Center (Dominican Republic)5/22 - Arijetos Night Club (Dominican Republic)5/24 - Sunset Cruise (Dominican Republic)5/24 - Club CocoBongo (Dominican Republic)#WeFloodTheStreets#HardestWorkingDjYouKnow
67 of 83
68. #SquareInstaPic Day Party Pics.
68 of 83
69 of 83
70. Rickey Smiley
70 of 83
71. Rickey Smiley
71 of 83
72 of 83
73 of 83
74. Rock-T, Special K, Juicy and Headkrack
74 of 83
75 of 83
76 of 83
77 of 83
78 of 83
79 of 83
80 of 83
81. Rickey Smiley
81 of 83
82 of 83
83 of 83
Continue reading NFL Encourages Civility, Not Mayhem At Championship Games