Tens of thousands of people have come together to sign a petition which would rename a block of Fifth Avenue in New York City after former President Barack Obama. The gag is, that the particular block in question also houses Trump Tower.
“We request the New York City Mayor and City Council do the same by renaming a block of Fifth Avenue after the former president whose many accomplishments include: saving our nation from the Great Recession; serving two completely scandal-free terms in office; and taking out Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind September 11th, which killed over 3,000 New Yorkers,” the petition’s creator Elizabeth Rowin wrote.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
At the time of report over 140,000 people have signed the petition. The petition first circulated in last year after Rowin, a Los Angeles resident, put out the call to make the change. In an interview with CBS News, she said the petition somewhat lost steam but reignited after the following tweet went viral:
Text “ERICA”to 52140 to join the Get Up! Mornings w/ Erica Campbell mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
The petition echoes the sentiments of a prior successful campaign, where a stretch of Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles was named after the 44th President in May.
If the campaign is successful the address would read, “725 President Barack H. Obama Avenue, New York, NY 10022,” and would cover all buildings between 56th and 57th Streets on Fifth Avenue.
Rowin said that she has yet to hear from any New York City Council members on whether or not it will be brought forth for a vote.
“I really didn’t think there was a chance that it could happen,” Rowin said. “I think it would be fabulous. I think people feel kind of helpless right now, and it’s a way to troll him,” she said of President Trump. “If he does hear about it, maybe it would slow him down and distract him.”
However, Rowin may have some trouble according to state law which prohibits renaming a secondary street if the honoree is still alive. Regulations would only require 100 signatures for the campaign to be considered otherwise.
But Rowin seems unbothered.
“That’s an arbitrary rule,” she said. “In L.A., there are two streets named after him. So there’s no reason New York couldn’t do it as well.”
This story was originally posted on madamenoire.com.
Best Of Barack Obama & His Great Smile [PHOTOS]
1. This is the “work is done” face.Source: 1 of 33
2. That guy should watch out, Obama’s smile is contagious!Source: 2 of 33
3. Smile, it’s a beautiful day.Source: 3 of 33
4. Obama and his smile are at it again.Source: 4 of 33
5. He’s got some great pearly whites.Source: 5 of 33
6. He has many reasons to flash his smile.Source: 6 of 33
7. *Waves to the haters.*Source: 7 of 33
8. Black tie and a smile is the best combination.Source: 8 of 33
9. Obama and Biden: Bros for life.Source: 9 of 33
10. Hesitant smile?Source: 10 of 33
11. We moved “forward” with Obama in 2012.Source: 11 of 33
12. After waving to his haters, he waved to his supporters.Source: 12 of 33
13. What’s up there? Oh, another reason to smile.Source: 13 of 33
14. Hey there, people of America!Source: 14 of 33
15. Smile, you’re on Candid Camera.Source: 15 of 33
16. Is Obama cheesy or nah?Source: 16 of 33
17. America the beautiful with Obama’s darling smile.Source: 17 of 33
18. During one of speeches, the president made sure to smile to his supporters.Source: 18 of 33
19. Bill can learn a thing or two from Obama’s smiling game.Source: 19 of 33
20. Say cheese!Source: 20 of 33
21. President Obama is happy. Shouldn’t we all feel the same?Source: 21 of 33
22. Smile!Source: 22 of 33
23. “Hey you…smile!”Source: 23 of 33
24. Let’s all be happy like the president.Source: 24 of 33
25. This is an “LOL” moment in real time.Source: 25 of 33
26. He’s not laughing at you…or is he?Source: 26 of 33
27. Smiley aren’t we?Source: 27 of 33
28. Ha!Source: 28 of 33
29. Waves and smiles.Source: 29 of 33
30. The “Oh, I see what you did there” look.Source: 30 of 33
31. Obama has plenty of reasons to smile..he has Michelle.Source: 31 of 33
32. The wind won’t break his smile.Source: 32 of 33
33. Doesn’t he have the cheesiest smile ever?Source: 33 of 33
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- Gospel Artists Who Appeared On TV Shows [VIDEO]
- Collaboration Is Multiplication: 5 Unconventional Gospel Songs You Should Know
- Deitrick Haddon, LeAndria Johnson & More To Perform At African Pride Gospel SuperFest On TV One
Thousands Sign Petition To Rename Block That Houses Trump Tower After Barack Obama was originally published on getuperica.com