Rickey Smiley can remember growing up and seeing Martin Luther King. Jr. photos and quotes in his mothers as well as grandmothers house. The day before he was assassinated his kids climbed on tops of the car and didn’t want him to leave. King even asked his secretary to clear his schedule when he returned so that he could have more time with his kids.
Roland Martin spoke with his secretary and how she can recall all the events that led up to his death. He also spoke about how Black people today are running from movements in which we started. Gay, Latino and other people use movements to change laws and see progress, but we as a people aren’t doing that as much because of fear and other things.
In the 60’s people marched even though it put a target on them and their family. Martin also spoke about how King spoke against the Vietnam war and he believes that speech is what led to his death. He also thinks everyone should read the book by King titled “Where Do We Go From Here.” It gives a plan of what will happen after his death.
Listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” 6am ET.
- Joycelyn Savage Is Still Team R. Kelly, Says He’s Reading Fan Letters
- Tekashi 6ix9ine Prosecutors Ask For Reduced Sentence Thanks to His “Extraordinary” Snitching
- Cardi B Responds To Offset Social Media Hack, “We Good Over Here”
- Taraji (And Her Fro) Slay SELF Cover; Talks Menopause, Mental Health & Jussie
- Could Your Permanent Hair Dye Increase Your Risk Of Developing Breast Cancer?
- DaBaby, Megan Thee Stallion & Lil Nas X Featured On ‘Forbes’ 30 Under 30 List
- ‘Atlantics’ Is An Epic Black Love Story For Your Next Netflix And Chill
- Dame Dash’s Baby Mamas Looking To Get Unpaid Child Support from Lee Daniels
- Kevin Garnett Reveals Why Kyrie Irving Didn’t Have What It Takes To Make It In Boston
- George Zimmerman Sues Family Of Trayvon Martin, Book Publisher And Prosecutors For $100 Million