Viola Davis in most of her acceptance speeches talks about growing up poor and working hard to get to where she is now. The actress recently opened up to The Root about living in a rat infested apartment where they were on public assistance. Davis also chimed in about Donald Trump and how he wants to get rid off food stamps and make boxes for families.
She spoke about how people don’t talk about poverty and some don’t care. Davis mentioned, “Poor people are invisible. I know, because I was that.” In the video she talked about growing up and sometimes not having enough food to last through the month. Davis said, “I was a rung lower than poor. I was poor.”
- Watch: Beautiful ‘Last Black Man In San Francisco’ Trailer Tackles Gentrification With Tichina Arnold, Danny Glover & More
- #BlackGirlMagic: 16-Year-Old Accepted Into Five Law Schools
- She’s Back! ‘Claws’ Cutie Karrueche Confirms Her Return As A Bedazzled Eyepatch Rocking Virginia [VIDEO]
- Condolences: Megan Thee Stallion’s Mother, Holly Thomas, Passes Away
- Porsha Williams Gives Birth To Baby Girl! [PHOTOS]
- Cam Newton Says He Gave Up Sex As Part Of His Monthly Challenges To Be Better [VIDEO]
- “One on One” Creator, Notable Television Writer & Producer Eunetta T. Boone Dead At 63
- 5-Year-Old Boy Dies After Being Crushed By Table At Church [VIDEO]
- Wendy Williams Husband Kevin Hunter Releases Statement
- TLC’s Story May Be Headed To Broadway!