Three time Grammy-Award winner Jill Scott has officially split from her husband of 15 months, according to BOSSIP.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The soul singer filed divorce papers on September 15, citing “irreconcilable differences,” and “inappropriate marital conduct that such further cohabitation would be unsafe and improper,” according to the outlet.
Scott, 45, married Mike Dobson, 49, in a June 2016 secret ceremony much to the surprise of her fans and supporters.
The grounds listed in Scott’s divorce petition could range anywhere from meaning cruel treatment, infidelity, verbal or physical abuse or sexual impropriety, according to Tennessee law, where the couple exchanged their vows.
Dobson, who spoke to BOSSIP, maintains none of the above happened in their relationship. He told the outlet that he was “blindsided” by the news, even though court documents listed the couple’s separation date as September 5.
“She’s an evil woman,” Dobson said in the interview. “I’m telling you. It’s like what Jill Scott wants, Jill Scott gets. People are in her ear, and if someone comes in to challenge the dumb s**t, they made me be the bad guy and that got me outta there.”
Dobson also said that the couple decided to live separately while they worked on their marriage, agreeing to continue wearing their wedding rings.
“She’s got issues. There’s no men in that family, there’s only women. And when a man comes in, it’s like a challenge,” he continued.
On the divorce petition, Scott listed her occupation as a writer and PhD student, marking Dobson as unemployed. He told BOSSIP that Scott tried to smear his name by doing so, saying he’s maintained a job with the city of Atlanta since 2011. She also asked the court to enforce an existing prenup agreement between the couple.
Dobson also warned that he’s geared up to fight dirty.
“She likes to emasculate men – that’s her problem,” he said. “I told her, she’s from Philly, but I’m from New York, and if you want to try to disgrace me, try to slander me, I can fight dirty.”
This is Scott’s second divorce. She was previously married to Lyzell Williams from 2001-2007. She shares an eight-year-old son named Jett from her previous relationship with drummer John Roberts. Scott and Dobson have no children together.
- Psychic Wayne On The Deal With Russell Simmons & Sexual Assault Accusations [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Omarosa Says Trump Is Not Racist [VIDEO]
- Even Robin Roberts Couldn’t Help Commenting On Omarosa & The White House [EXCLUSIVE]
- Black Santa Hired For The First Time At Mall Of America
Style Stalking: See Jill Scott's Best Looks
1. Style Stalking: 43 & Fabulous, See Jill Scott's Best Looks1 of 44
2. Jill Scott attends the 2015 Black Girls Rock Awards ShowSource:Getty Images/Gilbert Carrasquillo 2 of 44
3. Jill Scott attends the 4th annual ESSENCE Black Women In Music event3 of 44
4. Jill Scott attends the HBO after party at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards4 of 44
5. Jill Scott attends the Hollywood Reporter's 21st annual Women In Entertainment breakfast5 of 44
6. Jill Scott attends Lifetime's Steel Magnolias Premiere Event6 of 44
7. Jill Scott arrives at Clive Davis and The Recording Academy's 2013 Pre-GRAMMY Gala7 of 44
8. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2013 Delete Blood Cancer Gala8 of 44
9. Jill Scott attends the Roc Nation Pre-GRAMMY Brunch9 of 44
10. Jill Scott arrives at the 43rd NAACP Image Awards10 of 44
11. Jill Scott attends BET Honors 201211 of 44
12. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at 2011 VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul12 of 44
13. Jill Scott attends the 5th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon13 of 44
14. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2nd Annual Mary J. Blige Honors Concert14 of 44
15. Jill Scott attends the premiere of "Why Did I Get Married Too?"15 of 44
16. Jill Scott poses for a portrait during the 41st NAACP Image Awards16 of 44
17. Jill Scott attends the premiere of Fox Searchlight Pictures' "Baggage Claim"17 of 44
18. Jill Scott is all smiles at the 17th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival18 of 44
19. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 6th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Awards Luncheon19 of 44
20. Jill Scott arrives at the 4th Annual ASCAP Rhythm and Soul Grammy Brunch20 of 44
21. Jill Scott visits BET's "106 and Park"21 of 44
22. Jill Scott arrives at VH1's "VH1 Storytellers Presents: Jill Scott Live" After Party22 of 44
23. Jill Scott poses in costume in the press room at the 43rd annual NAACP Image Awards23 of 44
24. Jill Scott arrives at the 2011 Black Girls Rock! Awards24 of 44
25. Jill Scott attends the Grey Goose Presents The Jill Scott Experience Pre-BET Awards Party25 of 44
26. Jill Scott arrives at the Sony/BMG Music Entertainment 2005 After GRAMMY Awards Party26 of 44
27. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2011 BET Awards27 of 44
28. Jill Scott is spotted in New York City28 of 44
29. Jill Scott attends the 8th Annual Soul Train "Lady Of Soul" Awards29 of 44
30. Jill Scott arrives at the 4th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon30 of 44
31. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 5th Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards31 of 44
32. Jill Scott arrives at the 2010 Essence Music Festival32 of 44
33. Jill Scott arrives at the 41st NAACP Image Awards33 of 44
34. Jill Scott poses in the press room at the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards34 of 44
35. Jill Scott attends Debra Lee's 2008 BET Awards Dinner35 of 44
36. Jill Scott arrives at the 2nd Annual Shortlist Music Awards Concert36 of 44
37. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 45th Annual GRAMMY Awards37 of 44
38. Jill Scott hosts the "Real Thing" Cocktail Reception38 of 44
39. Jill Scott attends the "Why Did I Get Married?" Screening39 of 44
40. Jill Scott arrives at Lionsgate's Premiere Of "Why Did I Get Married?"40 of 44
41. Jill Scott attends "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" New York City Premiere41 of 44
42. Jill Scott poses at a Barnes and Noble in-store appearance42 of 44
43. Jill Scott attends the inaugural Grammy Jam Fest43 of 44
44. Jill Scott arrives at the 16th Annual Essence Awards44 of 44