Beneath the surface of Tyrese Gibson’s emotional—some have called it a psychological—breakdown appears to be a father who cares passionately about his child. It helps debunk the stereotype that Black men are disproportionately negligent fathers.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The good news for Tyrese is that officials dropped their child abuse investigation of him, which triggered the actor’s video breakdown, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
In their custody battle for 10-year-old daughter, Shayla, Tyrese’s ex-wife, Norma Mitchell Gibson, claimed that the entertainer “pushed our daughter to the ground, pinned her face down, put his knees on her back, grabbed her hands with one arm and beat her with the other,” according to the AJC
Gibson pleads in the video: “Don’t take my baby. This is all I got. Don’t take my baby, OK? I’ve been away from my baby for two months.”
Several daytime TV shows parade Black men who are deadbeat fathers. There are many of them out there for some in the media to exploit for rating—ultimately perpetuating the stereotype.
However, according to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention’s 2013 “National Health Statistics Report,” Black fathers who live with their children are more attentive than fathers of other demographics.
According to the CDC, 70 percent of those Black fathers were more likely to bath, dress, diaper or help their kids with toilet training, compared to 60 percent of White fathers and 45 percent of Hispanic fathers.
A higher percentage of Black fathers also escorted their children to and from activities and helped their kids with homework.
Tyrese has found unconventional ways to show love for his daughter. People magazine reported that he hired a plane in October to fly a banner over Shayla’s school that read “No matter what, daddy loves you Shayla.” His ex-wife wasn’t too happy with that display.
- Omarosa Says Trump Is Not Racist [VIDEO]
- Even Robin Roberts Couldn’t Help Commenting On Omarosa & The White House [EXCLUSIVE]
- Black Santa Hired For The First Time At Mall Of America
- How Cardi B Surprised Offset For His Birthday [EXCLUSIVE]
55 Photos To Make You Miss The Obamas
1. Barack gives daughter Malia a kissSource:Getty 1 of 45
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 45
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 45
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 45
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 45
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 45
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 45
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 45
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 45
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 45
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 45
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 45
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 45
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 45
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 45
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 45
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 45
18. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 18 of 45
19. A Family AffairSource:Getty 19 of 45
20. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 20 of 45
21. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 21 of 45
22. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 22 of 45
23. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 23 of 45
24. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 24 of 45
25. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 25 of 45
26. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 26 of 45
27. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 27 of 45
28. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 28 of 45
29. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 29 of 45
30. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 30 of 45
31. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 31 of 45
32. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 32 of 45
33. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 33 of 45
34. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 34 of 45
35. Family SupportSource:Getty 35 of 45
36. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 36 of 45
37. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 37 of 45
38. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 38 of 45
39. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 39 of 45
40. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 40 of 45
41. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 41 of 45
42. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 42 of 45
43. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 43 of 45
44. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 44 of 45
45. Christmas Tree LightingSource:Getty 45 of 45