Janelle Monae talks about the initial “uniform” of black & white that she used to wear early in her career, and why she thought it was important to do so before broadening her wardrobe to what it is we see today. She also discusses her attitude toward wearing make-up and today’s trends, and how she feels about walking around with a bare face. “Whenever I put on make-up it’s therapeutic for me,” she says.
Janelle also talks about her first film, “Moonlight,” which is in theaters now, and the character she plays in it. She talks about why she read the script and felt that she really wanted to be a part of it. Check out the exclusive video
above to more in this interview from the “Ed Lover Show
RELATED: Janelle Monae On Why She’s Never Been Afraid To Be Different [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
RELATED: 21 Times Janelle Monae Killed The Fashion Game Rocking Black & White
RELATED: Jeezy Feat. Janelle Monáe “Sweet Life” (NEW VIDEO)
14 Things You May Not Know About Janelle Monáe
14 photos Launch gallery
1. Janelle Monáe's full name is Janelle Monáe Robinson.
1 of 14
2. She was born on December 1, 1985.
2 of 14
3. Janelle was born in Kansas City, Kansas.
3 of 14
4. Her debut album "The ArchAndroid" was nominated for Best Contemporary R&B Album at the 53rd Grammy Awards.
4 of 14
5. Her song "Tightrope" was nominated for Best Urban/Alternative Performance at the 53rd Grammy Awards.
5 of 14
6. She's a Covergirl!
6 of 14
7. One of her close friends is "The Purple One" aka Prince!
7 of 14
8. Monáe on her signature tux: "I bathe in it, I swim in it, and I could be buried in it. A tux is such a standard uniform, it’s so classy and it’s a lifestyle I enjoy. The tux keeps me balanced. I look at myself as a canvas. I don’t want to cloud myself with too many colors or I’ll go crazy. It’s an experiment I’m doing. I think I want to be in the Guinness Book of World Records."
8 of 14
9. Outkast's Big Boi discovered the unique talent!
9 of 14
10. She was signed to Diddy's Bad Boy Records.
10 of 14
11. She has an alter-ego named "Cindi Mayweather."
11 of 14
12. Monáe studied drama at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in NYC.
12 of 14
13. In 2012, Monáe won the "Young, Gifted & Black Award" at the BET Black Girls Rock! Awards ceremony.
13 of 14
14. Her sophomore album is titled "The Electric Lady."
14 of 14