An Alexandria, Virginia pastor and his wife, founders of the Victorious Life Church, have been arrested on charges of defrauding their congregation of $1.2 million, according to The Washington Post.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Terry Wayne Millender, 52, and Brenda Millender, 56, ran a company called Micro-Enterprise Management Group that “claimed to help poor people in developing countries by providing small, short-term loans for businesses,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia said in a statement, writes The Post:
Between 2008 and 2015, the Millenders recruited investors by discussing their company’s Christian mission, but they actually used the funds they raised for risky trading in foreign currency markets and for the purchase of a $1.8 million home, prosecutors said. They said the defendants also blamed delays in paying back their investors on the 2008 financial crisis.
The Millenders and another member of Victorious Life Church accused of being involved in the fraudulent business, 52-year-old Grenetta Wells of Alexandria, were indicted on Oct. 20, prosecutors said. They face charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and money laundering that could bring up to 20 years in prison, according to prosecutors.
Drew Hutcheson, an attorney for Terry Millender, said his client was arrested after church on Sunday with no warning.
The news outlet writes that Terry Millender was arrested Sunday, while Wells was arrested Monday. Neither was available to comment.
SOURCE: The Washington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
31 Black Women Who Died In Police Custody
1. Kathryn Johnston, 92Source:Getty 1 of 26
2. Tarika Wilson, 26Source:Getty 2 of 26
3. Shereese Francis, 30Source:Getty 3 of 26
4. Shantel Davis, 23Source:Getty 4 of 26
5. Alesia Thomas, 35Source:Getty 5 of 26
6. Malissa Williams, 30Source:Getty 6 of 26
7. Darnesha Harris, 17Source:Getty 7 of 26
8. Shelly Frey, 27Source:Getty 8 of 26
9. Miriam Carey, 34Source:Getty 9 of 26
10. Yvette Smith, 47Source:Getty 10 of 26
11. Michelle Cusseaux, 50Source:Getty 11 of 26
12. Aura Rosser, 40Source:Getty 12 of 26
13. Tanisha Anderson, 37Source:Getty 13 of 26
14. Eleanor Bumpurs, 66Source:Getty 14 of 26
15. Natasha McKenna, 37Source:Getty 15 of 26
16. Janisha Fonville, 20Source:Getty 16 of 26
17. Meagan Hockaday, 26Source:Getty 17 of 26
18. Alexia Christian, 25Source:Getty 18 of 26
19. Sandra Bland, 28Source:Getty 19 of 26
20. Gynnya McMillen, 16Source:Getty 20 of 26
21. Symone Marshall, 22Source:Getty 21 of 26
22. Korryn Gaines, 23Source:Getty 22 of 26
23. Deborah Danner, 66Source:Getty 23 of 26
24. Alteria Woods, 21Source:Getty 24 of 26
25. Charleena Lyles, 30Source:Getty 25 of 26
26. Cariann Denise Hithon, 22Source:Getty 26 of 26
Virginia Pastor, Wife Accused Of Bilking Congregation Of $1.2 Million was originally published on newsone.com