It’s been a really bad few weeks for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and it got even worse on Friday when the Washington Post leaked a video from 2005 of the reality star businessman saying that he can “grab any p—y he wants” because he’s famous. In the aftermath, despite issuing a lame non-apology, Trump is losing serious support from Republican leaders including Arizona Sen. John McCain, the Los Angeles Times wrote.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“I have wanted to support the candidate our party nominated. He was not my choice, but as a past nominee, I thought it important I respect the fact that Donald Trump won a majority of the delegates by the rules our party set. I thought I owed his supporters that deference,” McCain said on Saturday.
He continued: “But Donald Trump’s behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy.”
However, he won’t be voting for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton though.
“We will write in the name of some good conservative Republican who is qualified to be president,” he said.
McCain isn’t the only jumping off the “Make America Great Again” ship. According to NPR, since Friday the following are calling for him to drop out of the race:
- Sen. John Thune (South Dakota): Third highest ranking Republican in the Senate, previously said he would support the nominee
- Sen. Mark Kirk (Illinois): Ran campaign ads distancing himself from Trump
- Sen. Ben Sasse (Nebraska): Prominent “Never Trumper”
- Sen. Deb Fischer (Nebraska): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Sen. Mike Crapo (Idaho): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (West Virginia): Said the “appropriate next step may be for him to reexamine his candidacy;” Withdrew previous endorsement
- Sen. Dan Sullivan (Alaska): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska): Tweeted that Trump has “forfeited the right to be our party’s nominee,” Did not endorse Trump previously
- Sen. Cory Gardner (Colorado): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Sen. Jeff Flake (Arizona): Did not endorse Trump previously
- Rep. Martha Roby (Alabama): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Rep. Bradley Byrne (Alabama): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Sen. Mike Lee (Utah): Did not endorse Trump previously
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz (Utah): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Rep. Mia Love (Utah): Did not endorse Trump previously
- Rep. Chris Stewart (Utah): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Rep. Barbara Comstock (Virginia)
- Rep. Mike Coffman (Colorado)
- Rep. Charlie Dent (Pennsylvania): Previously said he is not voting for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton in the general election
- Rep. Ann Wagner (Missouri): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Rep. Rodney Davis (Illinois): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Rep. Fred Upton (Michigan)
- Rep. Justin Amash (Michigan)
- Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (Nebraska)
- Rep. Frank LoBiondo (New Jersey): Said he will write in Mike Pence
- Gov. Dennis Daugaard (South Dakota): Withdrew previous endorsement
- Joe Heck, Senate Candidate (Nevada): Is running for Democratic Minority Leader Harry Reid’s seat
- Darryl Glenn, Senate Candidate (Colorado): Withdrew previous support
- Carly Fiorina, former presidential candidate
- George Pataki, former New York governor
- Jon Huntsman, former Utah governor
- Hugh Hewitt, conservative radio talk show host, previous Trump backer
While we commend these people for listening to their consciousnesses, it’s incredibly ironic that these same people didn’t think believe that Trump’s blatant and dangerous rhetoric against Muslims, Latinos, immigrants, African-Americans and women of color wasn’t serious enough to denounce the candidate, but now this was the final nail in the coffin? But we digress.
Not everyone is leaving Trump’ side though. Most of his surrogates including Rudy Guilliani, Ben Carson, Sarah Palin and Michelle Bauchman still have his back.
As previously reported, Trump, who was unaware that his mic was on, said to then Access Hollywood host Billy Bush that he forced himself on women, can’t help but to kiss beautiful women when he sees them and then graphically described an encounter with a married woman, who has been identified as journalist Nancy O’Dell, who rejected his advances.
“I moved on her and I failed. I’ll admit it,” Trump can be heard saying. “I did try and f–k her. She was married. And I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping. She wanted to get some furniture. I said, ‘I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.’”
“I moved on her like a b—h, but I couldn’t get there,” he adds. “And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.”
Bush, who is currently a co-host on the TODAY show, has also come under fire for making sexist remarks along with Trump. According to CNN, he deactivated his Twitter account on Friday and issued the following statement:
“It’s no excuse, but this happened eleven years ago — I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry.”
[Note: Bush was 33 years-old when the incident happened — old enough to know better.]
Whether he will lose his job is unknown but his Facebook page and the “Today” show’s page are full of angry comments, CNN noted. Some viewers say they want Bush to be suspended or fired but, NBC News as yet to comment on the issue.
This entire incident is incredibly messy and will definitely make the second Presidential debate on Sunday incredibly interesting as each candidate will be asked questions by undecided voters– as if anyone after Friday hasn’t made a decision on who they’re voting for come November 9.